Trusted Contributor

Re: American Express Platinum Credit Card

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I have both the regular AMEX Platinum and the Delta Reserve AMEX. I'm currently getting far more benefits from the Delta AMEX with the MQM boosts. I only flew 8 segments in 2020 and with rollover, am just 1000 MQM's from Platinum medallion already.

I've considered giving up the regular AMEX, because the Delta card also gets me into the SkyClub, but this point, I'm keeping both of them and will use them depending on which one gives the best benefit for whatever I'm buying.  I don't do PayPal, so that won't be a benefit, but there are other perks that are attractive. For example, the regular card gives access to the Centurion Lounges and Priority Pass as well. The regular card also has the $200 ancillary airline/travel charge credit rebate. 

I would call them and tell them what you said.  why pay for something u are not using. hint you might close it perhaps they will reduce the fee.  ???

as for the closing cards and your credit rating have heard different opinions on that. 

AMEX reduce or waive an annual fee? Yeah. No. That's not going to happen. 

@FrostyBabe1 

I feel stupid for asking them--- I said something like "given that I am not using the primery benefit I signed up for (Delta Sky Club) is there anything that can be done"... she responded--"You mean--like reduce the fee?"   And I said "Yeah".  She said "NO"!  And that was it!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope, I have the black (now called the Centurion') Am Ex card, no fees, no need for 'bargaining'.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@JasoninBoston I have no experience with AmEx *but* I've always heard from financial folks that it's best NOT to cancel a card as it can ding your credit. Best just not to use it, is what I've always read and heard.

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@JasoninBoston I have no experience with AmEx *but* I've always heard from financial folks that it's best NOT to cancel a card as it can ding your credit. Best just not to use it, is what I've always read and heard.

@Love my grandkids 

Thank you for posting.

I have heard that as well and am thinking I should just keep it. I do like the Sky Clubs and hopefully I will get to travel again soon!

Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

@JasoninBoston Your post brought back some fond memories! My late DH was career Air Force, retired after 23 years. Due to his top secret classification what he did in the AF, he travel a lot and I mean a lot. He had access to all the Sky Clubs or similar for many airlines and just loved that!

Even after he retired he had acquired so many free miles he was allowed to use them and the Sky Club for non government travel, it was great.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Nope, I have the black (now called the Centurion') Am Ex card, no fees, no need for 'bargaining'.

So you received an invitation and got the card without paying the intiation fee? And no annual fee? Interesting, because I know for a fact that those fees  do exist and how much they are. Very interesting. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

@JasoninBoston Your post brought back some fond memories! My late DH was career Air Force, retired after 23 years. Due to his top secret classification what he did in the AF, he travel a lot and I mean a lot. He had access to all the Sky Clubs or similar for many airlines and just loved that!

Even after he retired he had acquired so many free miles he was allowed to use them and the Sky Club for non government travel, it was great.

@Love my grandkids  

It does make a huge difference to have a special experience at the airport!  So I really know why he liked it!!

They have two Sky Clubs in Boston and they are very nice!

I used to only fly American for years but switched to Delta more a few years back due to certain destinations I need to frequent more (due to a very sick relative). 

Lounge access is something I really enjoy and while you do get in free w/ international 1st or business class, you don't when flying domestic. So getting through the card is a great benefit to me!!

Flying now is domestically in first class is very different now. I did make one trip in early November and I found it very sad how much thing have changed!!

Respected Contributor

My Dad was a "Flying Colonel" on Delta, back in the days before the frequent flier programs existed. We spent lots of time in the Crown Room (previous name for SkyClubs) when I was a kid. Fond memories!

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

So you received an invitation and got the card without paying the intiation fee? And no annual fee? Interesting, because I know for a fact that those fees  do exist and how much they are. Very interesting. 

@FrostyBabe1 

Yep, very interesting....

DH worked for the Federal gov't on various top secret military installations, and I know for a fact that we paid NO fees.

Maybe the gov't picked up the tab.....interesting.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Contributor

We had a platinum card for years. Just exchanged it for the AMEX Green card a month ago. AMEX tried everything to get us to keep it. Nope. Future travel too uncertain to pay over $500 for something we may or may not use in 2021. 
We may cancel the Green card in 2022 if we don't use it in 2021.