Trusted Contributor

American Express Platinum Credit Card

[ Edited ]

For the past 6 or so years I have had the platnum Americn Express card. I got it because it gives you access to the Delta Sky Clubs.  And it's roughly she same prices as a years's membership (the card is $550 and the Sky Club membership is $450).

My Am Ex card is up for renewal next month and I am trying to decide what to do!  

I haven't been flying as much due to the mess we're all in, so it seems super extravagant to keep the card.  But now they are giving all sorts of perks to try to get people to keep it--- like $30 per month PayPal credit, credits at Home Depot etc...

Does anyone else have the Platinum Amex card?

Also, I am curious if I close it it will cause a ding on my credit score which is a bit over 800 and and don't want it to do down!  Does anyone know if closing the account will make my credit score go down?

Either way, I am curious what others have decided if you too have the card.  Are you are keeping it despite everything?  Also, has anyone heard about a new Amex card launching in 2021?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: American Express Platinum Credit Card

[ Edited ]

I have both the regular AMEX Platinum and the Delta Reserve AMEX. I'm currently getting far more benefits from the Delta AMEX with the MQM boosts. I only flew 8 segments in 2020 and with rollover, am just 1000 MQM's from Platinum medallion already.

I've considered giving up the regular AMEX, because the Delta card also gets me into the SkyClub, but this point, I'm keeping both of them and will use them depending on which one gives the best benefit for whatever I'm buying.  I don't do PayPal, so that won't be a benefit, but there are other perks that are attractive. For example, the regular card gives access to the Centurion Lounges and Priority Pass as well. The regular card also has the $200 ancillary airline/travel charge credit rebate. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I recently got something in the mail from AmEx re new credit card.

I'm not interested - so I just tossed it.

Trusted Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I have both the regular AMEX Platinum and the Delta Reserve AMEX. I'm currently getting far more benefits from the Delta AMEX with the MQM boosts. I only flew 8 segments in 2020 and with rollover, am just 1000 MQM's from Platinum medallion already.

I've considered giving up the regular AMEX, because the Delta card also gets me into the SkyClub, but this point, I'm keeping both of them and will use them depending on which one gives the best benefit for whatever I'm buying.  I don't do PayPal, so that won't be a benefit, but there are other perks that are attractive. For example, the regular card gives access to the Centurion Lounges and Priority Pass as well. The regular card also has the $200 ancillary airline/travel charge credit rebate. 

@FrostyBabe1 

Thanks for posting!  I was also thinking about getting the Delta Amex card but the FF status isn't that important to me-- as I usually just fly first class regardless!  Also, I have had trouble acually using the $200 credit because of this--- since I don't need the credit to pay for bags etc...

In the end I may just keep the card since I don't want me credit score to go down!!

Thanks again!!

Respected Contributor

There's a blog entry on the One Mile At A Time website from March 2020 talking about a rumored card that will be somewhere between Platinum and Centurion. Interesting reading. IF it comes to fruition and the annual fee does indeed included Platinum Medallion status on Delta, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. 

I can't link to it because of the advertising, but it you travel at all, I'm sure you're familiar with the site. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I would call them and tell them what you said.  why pay for something u are not using. hint you might close it perhaps they will reduce the fee.  ???

as for the closing cards and your credit rating have heard different opinions on that. 

Respected Contributor

@JasoninBoston wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 

Thanks for posting!  I was also thinking about getting the Delta Amex card but the FF status isn't that important to me-- as I usually just fly first class regardless!  Also, I have had trouble acually using the $200 credit because of this--- since I don't need the credit to pay for bags etc...

In the end I may just keep the card since I don't want me credit score to go down!!

Thanks again!!

I typically fly in paid first as well, but trust me, if there are IRROPS or you have to actually CALL Delta, status is extremely helpful. Of course, it's totally up to you what you do, but it's something to consider. 

Trusted Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I would call them and tell them what you said.  why pay for something u are not using. hint you might close it perhaps they will reduce the fee.  ???

as for the closing cards and your credit rating have heard different opinions on that. 

@jackthebear wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@jackthebear 

I did call.  They said they wouldn't reduce the fee!!

I had sanguine hopes to this end as well!!

They did say I could get the green or gold card which have lower fees.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

AMEX reduce or waive an annual fee? Yeah. No. That's not going to happen. 

Honored Contributor

@JasoninBoston wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@jackthebear 

I did call.  They said they wouldn't reduce the fee!!

I had sanguine hopes to this end as well!!

They did say I could get the green or gold card which have lower fees.

Thanks!

hmm if you have other cards, use those, and dump the Amex....but I don't fly so it's not important to me 

wonder if you had said go ahead and close it they would have acquiesced