Honored Contributor

A return I witnessed at Costco...

There have been articles in the news regarding companies with lenient return policies; Costco made headlines when they accepted a Christmas tree a few days of Christmas as a return. I witnessed this a few days ago and it made me sit back and think for a few reasons. Curious to the thoughts of others on the forum.

The man in front of me was returning something ( I was exchanging something). He and his wife informed the employee that it was purchased 5 months ago and provided the receipt. He told them they would need help getting off the truck and back into the store. So, off someone went and that was that. My turn came up and while I was waiting for the employee to do whatever they do, the couple and Costco employees wheeled in on a flatbed a leather sofa set... all in one with a recliner built in on one end. The leather was dark brown. When the turned it around....the leather was GONE from the arms, the back, the seats..wherever a body would touch when sitting on a sofa. I mean GONE. Everyone in line gasped because it was terrible. The woman said to the manager (who had been called apparently) that there is NO WAY leather should wear away from furniture in 5 months like this. The manager agreed and they were refunded the entire amount (a few thousand based on what the employee said).

Now, I remember looking at this same set last year when it was on the floor. SO soft and comfortable to sit in, smelled so good and thought that it would be great with boys to have it in the family room. It being a sectional allows you to put the pieces together in an L or half box or whatever you want. DH and I came back to purchase when it was back on the floor for sale about 5-6 months ago and it was sold out. I would have been ANGRY as all get out if that leather had worn off like that. What made me decided to never buy leather from Costco is that it didn't say "bonded" leather. I remember reading hear that most leather furniture is like this and now and you have to spend BIG bucks for what used to be the norm in  leather furniture.

In any event, can you imagine?! Bravo to Costco for taking it back. 

Honored Contributor

Re: A return I witnessed at Costco...

Was it pleather?  I agree, it shouldn't have worn like that.  I hope the person writes an online review so others are spared the aggravation.

Honored Contributor

Furniture is, generally speaking, a horror story.  I recently replaced the 2 chairs in my living room.  They were still in okay condition, but they were chairs I had chosen when I first bought my condo and my ideas for the room have changed drastically.  Still, after reading reviews from nearly every reputable furniture seller in the moderate price range, I almost wanted to live with what I had!

Stories like the Costco leather abound.  Ironically, I know at least one Costco member who has had a beautiful leather sofa from them for quite a few years with absolutely no signs of wear yet.  But, @SahmIam, I agree Costco did what they should have - it's hard to imagine that much damage in 5 months even if there are 15 kids and 7 pets in that house!

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr  If by "pleather" you mean plastic that looks like leather....no. This was a LEATHER sofa set. You could buy additional items that matched in there or on-line. 

Respected Contributor

Good for .Costco. You've helped s lot of people with your post. NEVER buy bonded leather! It is super-thin and bonded to a backing. It will NOT provide long wear. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkrwrote:

Was it pleather?  I agree, it shouldn't have worn like that.  I hope the person writes an online review so others are spared the aggravation.

It was probably just thin, cheap leather. Pleather probably would have held up better and would have lasted longer.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

My husband &I witnessed a return at Costco that left us utterly amazed at the lack of some people’s character. We were watching a Vitamix demo (we had already purchased ours the week prior), and a lady who was also watching the demo said she just returned her old Vitamix that she had FOR 5 YEARS because she wanted to upgrade AND COSTCO TOOK IT BACK! WTH?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I know that I will use my full rights when I purchase a product that isn't right. My husband and I have worked way too hard for our money to simply waste it on junk that doesn't hold up.

I really think about where I buy from for just this reason.

I purchased a Bissell steam carpet cleaner from Kohl's. I had a lot of options to choose from, in places that carried this product, but most had a 30 return policy. My thought process is that something like this is expensive, and should last for a couple of years at the very least (I actually expect a decade out of things like this based on my use and care though). So I bought it at Kohl's, who accepts returns at any time, fully intending to return it if it didn't last a couple of years. Good news is that it has lasted for at least 4 years now, long enough that if it fails, I won't be returning it. 

If more people held stores and manufacturers responsible for the quality of the products instead of just throwing things away and buying new, we might get better quality products.

Honored Contributor

I did my research before we bought our leather furniture 10 yrs ago. It still looks pretty much like it did when we bought it. I turned the furniture upside down so I could see how it was made. The salesman said I have never had anyone do that before. I told him well you could not answer my questions so I had to turn it upside down to see for myself how it's made. 

He showed us some bonded leather back then & I told him no thank you. Ours is real leather. You can tell if you look at the back of the flap on the back of the recliners. Also look underneath.

We had bought furniture previous that was junk that the company had to keep bringing out replacements. We finally told them what they could do with it. LOL!!! They thought it was ok to deliver damaged furniture & repair it for us. I don't think so. We bought new furniture & it should not need to be repaired.

I don't know what they paid for the furniture at Costco but price should tell something. We paid over $2500 for 2 recliners & sofa over 10 yrs ago.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWifewrote:

My husband &I witnessed a return at Costco that left us utterly amazed at the lack of some people’s character. We were watching a Vitamix demo (we had already purchased ours the week prior), and a lady who was also watching the demo said she just returned her old Vitamix that she had FOR 5 YEARS because she wanted to upgrade AND COSTCO TOOK IT BACK! WTH?

@SurferWife That sounds like Lowe's. Someone bought a sander & used on their floors but it was not the type for floors. They burned it up & wanted a refund. After the clerk told them it was not supposed to used for that & they rented those type of machines she went on to give them a refund. I don't think they should have received a refund.