Honored Contributor

Re: A return I witnessed at Costco...

@Mominohiowrote:

@SahmIamwrote:

@Mominohiowrote:

I know that I will use my full rights when I purchase a product that isn't right. My husband and I have worked way too hard for our money to simply waste it on junk that doesn't hold up.

I really think about where I buy from for just this reason.

I purchased a Bissell steam carpet cleaner from Kohl's. I had a lot of options to choose from, in places that carried this product, but most had a 30 return policy. My thought process is that something like this is expensive, and should last for a couple of years at the very least (I actually expect a decade out of things like this based on my use and care though). So I bought it at Kohl's, who accepts returns at any time, fully intending to return it if it didn't last a couple of years. Good news is that it has lasted for at least 4 years now, long enough that if it fails, I won't be returning it. 

If more people held stores and manufacturers responsible for the quality of the products instead of just throwing things away and buying new, we might get better quality products.

I agree with you but here's my thing:

Washers and dryers don't last beyond a few years; do I return them every 3 years? I don't know anyone that would accept them the first time let alone multiple times. The ones I have are 20 years old and going strong. The new ones do not last.

Same with a fridge. It's built to last 10 years but average is 7. Though I think an appliance should last 20  years or so, they're not and I don't know who would accept a return. How about cars? Now THERE is something that REALLY needs to be "fixed" because with recalls and simply poor workmanship, so cars are in the shop on a constant basis.

Things SHOULD last but they're not made to any longer...or so it appears from everything I hear and read.

@SahmIam

As long as people accept the fact that things are made to be replaced so easily, that is what we will get, the same old junk. 

I'm not sure how to hold manufacturers and retailers accountable unless we simply don't buy inferior products, or we demand our money back when they don't perform to some decent level of expectation. 

Consumers have so much power, but they really don't exercise it. They simply give in and accept poor quality. Perhaps one doesn't have any legal rights after a short warranty period, but that wouldn't stop me from giving it a try with the retailer I purchased from, if I thought it was unreasonable length of time for some big ticket item to have lasted. 

We are lucky in that my husband is not only a mechanic, but pretty handy at fixing most things mechanical or electronic, as long as they are fixable. 

We often choose to buy older, better built things, and avoid the newer junk, when we can. It's amazing what good older appliances are out there at auctions and thrifts. Don't suppose this would work for most people, but buying second hand is one option for getting better quality on a lot of things, not just appliances. 

@Mominohio

Yep, things just were built better .....  I think Id rather buy furniture from a vintage/antique shop than the current retailers---things like chest of drawers, bed frames, dinning room tables/chairs were made of REAL WOOD, not this junky wood veneer or particle board.  Fabrics were better quality too.....You can always paint them/stain them to give the furniture a more updated look...and you have a good quality piece that lasts! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I've seen Ethan Allen and Thomasville go down the crapper over the decades and what a shame as they USED to have such high quality furniture. I'm in the situation of having to purchase 2 sofas and I'm buying those that offer washable slip covers in a STURDY fabric. I'm doing off white because I'm an idiot (lol) so being washable is #1 with me. It's disgusting that I can lift a huge sofa off the ground with ease with one hand because of the materials they now use. With my parents sofa from Ethan Allen, 4 people would struggle to move that thing and inch!

Honored Contributor

Oh yes, bonded leather is not as sturdy as traditional leather and I can tell the difference. I bought my husband a bonded leather recliner 3 years ago and although it is not showing any wear, he's the only one that sits on it.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  "We often choose to buy older, better built things, and avoid the newer junk, when we can. It's amazing what good older appliances are out there at auctions and thrifts. Don't suppose this would work for most people, but buying second hand is one option for getting better quality on a lot of things, not just appliances." 

Yes, indeed. Which is why I scope out antique stores, estate sales, consignment shops for furniture/home items. When my Daddy was alive, everything was fixed. The many owned every took, every nut and bolt...you FIXED it and it lasts forever. DH? Not a fixer upper in ANY way....sadly. Nothing wrong with second hand. Funny thing? SO many of the stores that used to sell dinged appliances are gone. Why?! *sigh*

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIamwrote:

@Spurt  I've seen Ethan Allen and Thomasville go down the crapper over the decades and what a shame as they USED to have such high quality furniture. I'm in the situation of having to purchase 2 sofas and I'm buying those that offer washable slip covers in a STURDY fabric. I'm doing off white because I'm an idiot (lol) so being washable is #1 with me. It's disgusting that I can lift a huge sofa off the ground with ease with one hand because of the materials they now use. With my parents sofa from Ethan Allen, 4 people would struggle to move that thing and inch!

@SahmIam

I have a cousin that insists on Ethan Allen because of their reputation---but you should see the stuff he bought not to long ago......these big named brand manufacturers have all gone to hell in a handbasket....I can understand why millenlials buy furniture from Wayfair that you have to assemble yourself...its a lot of trouble but at least you get what you pay for, and don't overpay for what you get... Smiley Wink

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

They deliberately trashed the furniture.  I doubt that the furniture was  not defective and I'd bet every dollar in my account that those people either needed money very badly and came up with that scheme or they changed their minds about the furniture and figured out a way to get their money back.  What was the manager supposed to do, they furniture was there on their property and for sure that couple would have created a scene and it would been a public relations nightmare and terrible inconveniece to the staff and to the other customers.  So, he refunded them and threw out the furniture they trashed in the dumpster and moved on to more important things.  People pull all types of scams. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is always the conversation over in the Home Forum.

Someone asks for rec's on furniture and inevitably the response is "just run over to Costco....."

And the reply is "your purchase will be sitting on the curb for the trash man in no time....."

SMH that people think this is high end stuff.

Trusted Contributor

Bravo to Costco for taking the furniture back. Bonded leather should be marked so people know when they purchase they are not getting good grade leather furniture. Instead, they are getting leather that is bonded together in pieces. It's quite frankly junk and eventually peels and its not cheap to buy. Have some friends this happened too and they only had the furniture a little over a year when the peeling started and of course, the warranty was gone so they were stuck the store they purchased it from was not helpful at all, needless to say, they won't buy there again  and none of their friends will purchase from this store who knows what happened. Very bad customer service. They lost customers because they did nothing to help.  They tried covering it with slipcovers but the peeling continued and they ended up taking it to the dump and lost the money they had spent on it. Wake up call when purchasing any leather furniture be very sure of what you are buying and only from a reputable furniture store that stands behind their products.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIamwrote:

@SahmIam

Oh the day when Ethan Allen was beautiful, timeless and well made!!! I remember too!

When I first left home to be on my own, I had decided that I would to with very little, in order to have 'the best' (that I could afford anyway). I bought a Stiffel brass lamp, and it was the only lamp I had for many years. I simply refused to buy stuff that I would just get rid of a few years later. I still have that lamp today and use it (although it is in dire need of a new shade).

I also bought some Ethan Allen furniture. A dresser (chest of drawers actually) and matching night stand, again, I still have those in my master bedroom. We lost our Ethan Allen store many years ago, but I used to spend a lot of time in there just dreaming!

I have considered replacing them (moving them to a guest room and getting new for my master) but recently went to look at chest of drawers with my mom as she is in need of an additional one. We went to high end stores with what are supposed to be high end brands. Boy, what junk, and what high prices. 

Came home and kissed my old furniture. Love it even more now! I still even have the hard rock maple bedroom set my parents bought in 1962 when they bought their first house. Might not be the style that is popular today, but it certainly makes a beautiful matching bedroom, has lots of sentimental value and will still be standing when so many of these newer things are in the junk pile.

We used to have a small rural auction house here in our area, and they would clear out estates and the like. The nice furniture that used to go through there, for very little money! OH it was so tempting. Funny thing is that good older wood furniture can't be duplicated, but it is hard to sell for some reason. I guess people care more about the most recent style than really solid good quality.

Respected Contributor

Costco's return policy is amazing!  They have always stood behind their products.  Their CS folks are always nice and very professional.   A huge reason why I shop there.