Honored Contributor

Re: A return I witnessed at Costco...

@patbzwrote:

Our couch and loveseat are 26 years old and in perfect shape.  They are "this end up"(used to be a mall staple before they went out of business) and have loose cushions.  About twelve years ago we replaced the cushions and covers (still available online) because of longtime abuse and accidents by son and friends (those replacements only cost $800).  I honestly think these couches may still be in use by my grandkids, long after I'm gone.

@patbz . I used to love that store!  We bought a bedroom set for my son when he was 5 or 6 years old (he's 30 today) from This End Up.  I also bought the bedding and window valance for his room.  I wanted to buy more for other rooms in later years but unfortunately they went out of business.

It was really too bad since they had such nice sturdy furniture and great fabrics!

Respected Contributor

I have seen people bring back stuff to costco that they must of had for years, I saw a garden house that had to be 5yrs old all sun baked & they refunded the money. Lowes has a policy that will take back any dead plants. My daughter got a lemon tree from Lowes she over watered it & I told her, well tree died she paid $30 for it. I never said a word because it was her fault. Never told her about Lowes policy because she was at fault. I bet so many people take advantage. I would never do that. Just want you to know Lowes does take dead plants back & will replace or refund you. I would be at Lowes all the time for all the plants that I have killed. LOL It's my fault too & I admit it. 

Esteemed Contributor

That was very nice of them to take it back, most places probably wouldn't after that length of time. (We don't have a Costco anywhere near us by the way, and I wish we did because I hear so much good about Costco).

PS I have never in my life taken anything back to a store. We have sent maybe 2 to 3 things back to QVC in 20 years only because they were things that didn't work. 

I have a friend who shops (obsessively and impulsively) every other day (almost) and she takes things back at least once every month. But of course that isn't the case with what you describe, but I just wanted to say we just never had to take things back. (I think because we think it over before buying anything). 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I don't think 5 months is too long to take back this furniture to Costco.  If it were 5 years, yes.  Costco is known for their customer service and showed it with this couple.  Sounds pretty far-fetched that this could happen in that short period of time, but evidently it did.  

Respected Contributor

Costco and Sam's have a generous return policy.  All of the items they sell are NOT first quality; hence the great return policy.