Regular Contributor

Re: A question regarding Ca. fires

@suzyQ3 wrote:

In today's Los Angeles Times, columnist Steve Lopez takes on the gleeful Cali haters. I can't copy the whole piece or give a link because it would breach standards here, so I'll just post the conclusion:

Why would anyone live here?

Gee, I don’t know. The 40 million or so people who call California home might have an answer or two, but let me offer a few of my own.

The beaches, the mountains, the deserts, the sunsets, the rural, the urban, the red, the blue, the people, the wildlife, the languages, the history, the diversity, the endless curiosities, the energy, the universities, the music, the art, the food, the culture, the climate, the risks that worked, the experiments that failed, the long tradition of break-away politics and the collective agreement that you can say or think of us what you will — we don’t really care one way or another — just shelter in place (unless you’re a firefighter) and please don’t move here.

It is unmanageable and unlivable, I’m telling you.

Designed and guaranteed to fail.

Federal land and national parks belong to all of us.  That means we can and should voice our opinions.  Seeing the state on fire is heartbreaking and not just for Californians. 

Honored Contributor

Remember we are all vulnerable to something. Look what happened in Flint. I can recall when we had a drought ,the Great Lakes lost so much water they had to redredge the harbors ,at  Mackinac Island. People on the inland lakes couldn't even use the lake for boating, because they couldn't put their boats in...

Honored Contributor

Is the planet getting warmer? It better be or we're in a lot of trouble. There are more people, more heated and cooled homes and structures, and more vehicles and paved surfaces. If the planet isn't getting warmer, we're in deep doo-doo. We're consuming three times the BTU's we did in 1950. Each BTU is the amount of heat needed to raise one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. Imagine you walked into a structure in 1950 and they had one ten thousand BTU heating running flat out all the time. You took the temperature fo the structure and left. You came back today and found three ten thousand BTU heaters running flat out all the time and the temperature is now warmer. Would you be shocked and surprised? No. You'd expect it. 

Each human being is a 98.6 degree (give or take a bit) radiator radiating heat out into the atmosphere. Get a bunch of people together in a small room with little to no air circulation and watch the temperature of the room rise. This is normal. More people equal more heat. More heated and cooled buildings equal more heat. More BTU consumption equals more heat. More paved surfaces equal more heat. 

Let's go back to the structure that's now consuming three times the BTU's it did in 1950. For most of us, it's pretty apparent why the building is now warmer. For a CO2 being solely responsible proponent, they'd look to the ceiling and roof and wonder what changes had been done to trap in the heat. Well, none. We're just making a lot more heat. You don't have to trap it in. We're just churning out a lot more than we ever did before. It's not like heat shoots into outer space at the speed of light. No, it meanders it's way up and out into space giving up heat along the way. Heat more meanders than races anywhere. Start a fire in your fireplace and sit all the way across the room. How long does it take for you to feel the heat? Is it instant? No. It takes a few minutes for you to feel the heat.

Does global warming/climate change (when exactly was the climate ever stable?) cause forest fires, tornadoes, hurricanes etc? Not really. They've always been around. People have short memories. Hurricane Hazel devastated NJ in 1954. When Super Storm Sandy hit people said those storms would be routine. They aren't. 

The "Oh we're all doomed!" crowd are more than a little insane. We've been pumping trillions of gallons of water a year from underground aquifers and into the oceans. Why aren't we all drowning? Because the Earth is a lot more sponge-like than many like to think. When rising seawater hits dry land it doesn't just sit atop the land. It gets pulled down by gravity and keeps getting pulled down by gravity until there's no place left to go. There it pools and forms an aquifer. The water displaces the land above it causing the land to rise. If the ice caps melt (and some evidence now says they're actually growing and not shrinking) the Earth will absorb much of, if not most of the water with little to no trouble.

Everyone just needs to chill out and relax. The worst-case scenario for warming has NJ reaching the ungodly average temps seen in Louisiana and Louisiana reaching the ungodly temps seen in Hawaii and Florida. God knows no one could possibly survive such extreme temperatures, except for the millions who live there now.

The world isn't ending in ten to twelve years. We're not all going to be consumed in massive balls of flame. We're not all going to drown. Just chill out and relax a bit. Lots of kids are scared to death these days from adults telling them the world is ending. It isn't ending.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Regular Contributor

No the planet is not getting warmer. God is in control. When the fires and blackouts happened a friend and I left the area and traveled to another where we stayed for 4 more days. I met a very nice lady in the hotel who had sold her home and was waiting for escrow to close. Her son works for PG&E. He told his mom it was very bad BECAUSE it was due to the workers laziness all year and every year. Now we are paying for it. I'm old enough where I remember the linemen were always working on the lines, haven't seen that in years. Never see the trucks aroun so now we are paying for it.

Trusted Contributor

@ann1989 

While I suppose they may be out there, I have not personally met any Cali haters who were "gleeful" over these fires.  Did you run across people in California who were gleeful when Hurricane Katrina devestated Louisiana?  What I have seen is a certain amount of criticism, opinions, discusssions about how to deal with the situation (some more meritorious than others.) 

Someone would have to be seriously mentally distrubed to be gleeful over these fires. 

This is a horrific situation, and people inside and outside of California are horrified and upset about what the suffering going on in California right now.  Not everyone expresses themselves with the sensity the situation warrants, but I suspect a lot of that comes from distress at seeing the suffering and devastation.  (Foot in mouth disease, is not the equivalent of gleefulness.) 

I cried over the Pardise fire, and can barely stand to even think about it now.  I hate the fires, I hate the suffering, I hate the devastation.  I don't hate the people. My heart aches for the people, the animals and the devastation to the beautiful State of California. 

Do the math.
Trusted Contributor

@MarielG

Such a well-written post. Thank you for such lovely and thoughtful sentiments.
I too remember watching the levees break in New Orleans and being devastated. Any natural disaster is tragic for our country...we have some of the most beautiful lakes, streams, mountains and beaches in the world right here in the United States.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman :  Sorry but global warming is real.  The NYT had a chart several days ago showing huge areas that will be underwater at high tide in 2050.  These areas include large areas of Bangkok, Vietnam and eastern China.  Sticking our collective heads in the sand won't solve this problem.

Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@gardenman :  Sorry but global warming is real.  The NYT had a chart several days ago showing huge areas that will be underwater at high tide in 2050.  These areas include large areas of Bangkok, Vietnam and eastern China.  Sticking our collective years in the sand won't solve this problem.

@patbz  Oh, the NYT said so. That must be true!😂

Esteemed Contributor

@Ketra :  It is the Nation's record (always has been, too).

Honored Contributor

I am firmly on the fence, but ,I don't think we can lay everything to *just weather*. After watching The Crown and seeing the way London was devastated, during a spell of bad weather, by toxic fumes, it brings home to everyone( or it should) just how important clean air is

Churchill  made the comment it is just weather, yes it is, but the weather was a carrier for  conditions that killed a lot of people

I think we all need to work together to clean up our planet ,and stop fighting about global warming. We need to unite for global cleaning. We only have 1 world..Will it make a difference? No one can say for sure. What it will do is give us a cleaner place to live, and give future generations , clean air and water. No matter what happens to the weather, that is a win, win situations, if you ask me