Super Contributor

Things that cost more than they should

I went to buy a few greeting cards yesterday and , as always, was taken back by the price.  It got me to thinking about things that cost more than they should.  I can add bathing suits to that list.  Your thoughts?

Respected Contributor

Re: Things that cost more than they should

I get all my greeting cards at Dollar Tree.  They are now made by Hallmark and are nice.  I would rather buy an additional gift than spend $3 to $5 for a card that will be thrown away.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

My thought is that what people think costs more than it should will vary wildly, and knowing the Q boards, will end in an argument. 

It all depends on what one likes, what one expects from a product, and what someone is willing and able to pay for it.

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

Good morning, @gellen 

Greeting card prices are outrageous, and then they get thrown away.  I stock up at the Dollar Stores for cards.  I think most everything I buy is more than I expect it to be: makeup, cereal, vitamins, pantyhose, etc. if I happen to find something I use at a sale price, I will buy it.  Discount stores are my new best friends. 😄 Have a great weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

@gellen  My greeting cards come from the dollar store.  I don't want to buy them and I really do not want to receive them as most just get put in recyling.  

As for grocery and household items, I shop sales.  Since I never go to the mall, I seem to spend more money on clothes at the Q and sometimes HSN.  While some consider their clothing pricey, I am not driving anywhere, do not have to worry about anything happening to my car, or anything happening to me.  Good trade-off in my opinion.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

I get all my greeting cards at Dollar General. Most are $1.00 & some are $2.00. They are very nice cards. We don't send as many Christmas cards as we used to, but I have found really nice boxes of cards at T J Maxx & Dollar General. Also most drug stores have them half price around Thanksgiving. I'm not paying $6.00 for a card. I pt it into the gift. 

Honored Contributor

Well, I was shocked to see Stove Top stuffing went from $1 to $1.50 at WM since last year...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I don't send greeting cards so I don't buy them. But the price of cereal has gotten to be ridiculous  Wheaties here is $4.99.  We usually buy whatever is on "special."

Esteemed Contributor

I was just thinking this yesterday...Let me add..

Printer ink

bag of potting soil...dirt

Honored Contributor

Nothing really costs more than it "should" because this is the USA and we have a capitalistic society.  Which is a good thing.  Companies are free to charge what they want to charge and their success or failure is based on the consumer.  And that creates competition and lower prices.  Also financial situations vary in this country.  a $100 swim suit might be expensive to you but it's so inexpensive to another woman that she'll buy 3 or 4.  For me, there is nothing in this world that costs too much.  There are things that I can't afford, there things I don't believe are worth the price and I'm ok with that because I know I can find an alternative that just as good at a price I want to pay.