Honored Contributor

Re: A question regarding Ca. fires

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

As to the fires, I know there has been a lot of blame for PG&E - which is now apparently bankrupt, but I'm also reading that state regulators focused on requiring PG&E to prioritize subsidizing power for the poor and reducing emissions and investing in solar power etc., rather than spending money on fireproofing their lines and improving their infrastructure (which is what they are now saying contributed to the fires.)

Now I hear the state wants to take over the power company.  That should be a real improvement - NOT.

@Isobel Archer, I'm glad to hear that they help both those who can't afford power and that they are reducing emissions and investing in alternative sources. I'm not sure that that was the cause for their not adequately updating their infrastructure. Besides, they have actually progessed quite a bit recentlyIt sounds as some source is trying to make a political point.

The state is smart for considering a different way to manage power. I hope that they can come up with some sort of structure that will benefit us.Obviously, the private sector here is not up to it. Perhaps a combination thereof can be hammered out.

That's not quite the whole story.  PG&E also wished to provide large bonuses for its executives.  It was prevented from doing so by the bankruptcy judge.  PG&E first declared bankruptcy in 2001 and now again in Jan. 2019 and wanted to pay out these bonuses in August 2019.

And as to cruise ships, why don't we have solar or other-powered ships?  It's not about giving up activities we love but changing and/or improving some of the things we've taken for granted or the means by which we've achieved those goals. 

How would solar work when there is no sun?  What is the backup?  And - again - if someone wants to ban all fossil fuel - why are they  on a cruise ship - using large amounts of fossil fuel?

If fossil fuels are so bad for the environment that they must be banned, why is it OK to enjoy yourself at the expense of the environment.  It's not like cruises are necessary.

I get that THEY don't want to give up activities they love - but others should?  Really?

Good questions, @Isobel Archer 

Much work is being done to preserve solar energy for the nighttime and cloudy conditions. One example is a thermal battery.

As for those who want to do what's best for the environment, it's quite similar other acquired lifestyles. A vegetarian might carry a leather purse. She or he is making a compromise.

In terms of environmental concerns, such compromises are pretty much mandatory in our current world. And some are chosen willfully. It's a balance that is preferable to just throwing your hands up in the air and doing nothing.

Now if someone who is consciously trying to help mitigate climate change were to scold others for the same things that this someone is doing, then yes, of course, that is hypocritical.

I see it more as all of us helping one another to do the best that we can.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: A question regarding Ca. fires

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

As to the fires, I know there has been a lot of blame for PG&E - which is now apparently bankrupt, but I'm also reading that state regulators focused on requiring PG&E to prioritize subsidizing power for the poor and reducing emissions and investing in solar power etc., rather than spending money on fireproofing their lines and improving their infrastructure (which is what they are now saying contributed to the fires.)

Now I hear the state wants to take over the power company.  That should be a real improvement - NOT.

@Isobel Archer, I'm glad to hear that they help both those who can't afford power and that they are reducing emissions and investing in alternative sources. I'm not sure that that was the cause for their not adequately updating their infrastructure. Besides, they have actually progessed quite a bit recentlyIt sounds as some source is trying to make a political point.

The state is smart for considering a different way to manage power. I hope that they can come up with some sort of structure that will benefit us.Obviously, the private sector here is not up to it. Perhaps a combination thereof can be hammered out.

That's not quite the whole story.  PG&E also wished to provide large bonuses for its executives.  It was prevented from doing so by the bankruptcy judge.  PG&E first declared bankruptcy in 2001 and now again in Jan. 2019 and wanted to pay out these bonuses in August 2019.

And as to cruise ships, why don't we have solar or other-powered ships?  It's not about giving up activities we love but changing and/or improving some of the things we've taken for granted or the means by which we've achieved those goals. 

How would solar work when there is no sun?  What is the backup?  And - again - if someone wants to ban all fossil fuel - why are they  on a cruise ship - using large amounts of fossil fuel?

If fossil fuels are so bad for the environment that they must be banned, why is it OK to enjoy yourself at the expense of the environment.  It's not like cruises are necessary.

I get that THEY don't want to give up activities they love - but others should?  Really?

It doesn't seem you actually read my comments.

And, two, batteries.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.