Honored Contributor

Re: A product used in a unintended way

@MalteseMomma

I've always wanted to be able to luxuriate in a tub of suds or something dreamy.  I learned early on in my life, it was not to be, unless I planned on visiting a doctor a few days later, he he.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I use:

1.  Toothpaste (whatever is on sale) and old toothbrush to clean my jewelry.

2.  Suave shampoo as bubble bath and to do hand laundry  (excellent in removing makeup).  It's wonderful on hand washable woolens ... followed by a bit of hair conditioner in the rinse.

3.  Eye shadow makes the perfect eyebrow makeup - brushed on the eyebrow, not on the skin

I just thought of another one ....

4.  You know those "quick shine" sponge things they sell for shoes ... they are great on leather coats, jackets and bags ... in addition to your shoes. It gives everything a nice sheen and softens the leather.

AND ... I also use them on my faux leather.  

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

If your 'flora and fauna' has a hard time with scented bath salts, bubblebath or bath oils, I can testify that Morton Natural All Purpose Sea Salt tossed in a tub of water feels like you are pampering yourself and there is no irritation or UTIs.

It's cheap too. 

I love that idea! I used to keep powdered milk in the house over the winter in case I ran out of milk and we couldn't get out right away to buy more when my kiddies were young! Then, in the spring, if I hadn't used it, I'd sprinkle it in my bath! Ahh! I've also used regular milk in bath as well.

My mother taught me this one...if you have a hook or something with screws that won't stay in the wall, take a small piece of a cotton ball, soak it with white glue. Using something pointed, push it a tiny bit into the hole. Then, take your item and screw it into the cotton and wall. Let it dry overnight befor using! Works well!

My contractor told me to use auto wax on the sides (not on bottom, or anywhere near the bottom!) when your tub/shower insert is new.  (or at least very well cleaned!). This prevents the water marks and soap scum from building up! I never tried it, though!

Use fizzy soda to clean toilet. Pour in, wait a few minutes, wash away with bowl brush. It shouldn't need scrubbing! Or, try a tablet for cleaning dentures! Put in, leave over night, flush!

I use bath gel I don't particularly like to shave my legs ! Also, leftover hair conditioner works, too! I also use moisturized bath gel to was hands and face at my sink! I need less skin care!

I pour plain or sudsy ammonia into cleaned out jewelry cleaner jar. Then, use as jewelry cleaner! Much cheaper than replacing the whole thing, works better, too!

My favorite tip is this... I had an old battery operated tooth brush that I no longer used. One day my dd asked me to clean her disgustingly dirty wedding rings! Out of desperation I grabbed the old toothbrush, not knowing the battery still worked! Well, it turned on while I was cleaning the rings and made them cleaner than I've ever seen them! I keep it now just for that!

I also buy cheap shampoo for oily hair to use as pre-treatment on my clothes! Especially grease stains!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Speaking of shaving cream, I ran across an old can of Barb*sol in a cabinet, and used it along the toilet bowl rim and underneath.  Left it on overnight, and brushed it off in the morning.  Worked well.  I'm now thinking that it would work well in a bathtub, too.   

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

What GREAT IDEAS and tips!  This is going to be a long-running thread!  Can't wait to read more as time goes on......Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Baby, tearless shampoo is good for removing eye makeup.

Run a sinkful of water, drop in a couple of denture tablets and soak your coffee mugs to remove stains.

I use coffee filters for drainage in the bottom of small-to-medium flower pots, cut up 2 liter soft drink bottles for large ones.

3% hydrogen peroxide will whiten your nail tips.

Edited to add new ones as I think of them. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Someone here mentioned powdered milk in baths. Years ago, I bought three large bags of powdered milk (at a local, not national, dollar store).  Anyway, I used that powdered milk in my baths.  Smooth and silky.  I haven't seen those large bags of powdered milk since that time.  .............If anyone here knows where to find powdered milk at a fairly inexpensive price, let me know.  Thanks!  p.s. I recall seeing boxed powdered milk during that time frame, but at very high prices. 

Respected Contributor

It's been a long time, but I used to take powdered milk baths, too.  The water really does turn silky.  

Another product that I used to use in the bath is Baby Dreft detergent, although it makes the tub really slippery.  I remember a meeting I attended after having such a bath.  A lady sitting next to me commented, "You smell good," and without thinking about how it sounded, I replied, "Thanks, I took a bath."  Woman LOL  I then explained what I actually meant. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Regular Contributor

*Avon's Skin So Soft for controlling ants. 

*First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream for dry scalp. (I leave on scalp a minimum of several

hours.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use my smaller cutting board, that has a handle on one end as a mini tray. It holds a paper plate on it, if I need to use it.

Use a coffee filter to weigh food on my food scale. About an ounce of something fits just right on the scale, (smaller items).