Honored Contributor

Re: A Memory Lane Question: Growing Up, What Was Your Favorite Toy and Why?

My dolls.  Heart

Respected Contributor

@cherry   Thanks for reminding me about board games.  I remember having Monopoly and the game called Life.  We would sit around and have a lot of fun playing those games with siblings and friends.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I had such a sad childhood, we really had nothing we needed to arrive socially. We did have food though and a warm house to live in. My Father did have a full time job, but with 5 kids it just didn't cut it. Holiday time was stressful for my Mom when we were little. I remember we were allowed to pick 3 things out of the Monkey Wards catalog from the 88 cent section of toys and games. My Grandma would give us a useful gift which was much appreciated. I remember our neighbor who was a bachelor bought us a bike one year. One bike for 3 girls at the time, but we were glad to have it . I really have never gotten over growing up poor and made sure I educated myself and married a man who was very educated and always had a good job. I never spoiled my only child with things even at XMAS time, but he always had everything he needed to arrive socially, if you know what I mean.

"Arriving socially" where I grew up was being invited to all the neighborhood birthday parties.  All we needed was to be clean, neatly dressed, and have our hair combed. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had jacks and paper dolls.  I also remember those roller skates.

Respected Contributor

When I was small at Christmas I would get a stocking filled with nuts (in the shell), fruit and candy and one present.  I think my favorite present was a doll. 

Esteemed Contributor

My favorite toy?

By far, my Tonka dump truck.

I loved playing in the dirt!

Honored Contributor

I was a lousy skater. I can recall staying with my Gramie, and crossing the street ,in front of her house ,to skate  on a very bumpy sidewalk.

I could see what was called the Village, in the distance. It was where the people who came up here from the south lived  , when they built the planes , that went to England, during the war.

If you have ever seen The Dollmaker with Jane Fonda, it was an account of the people living in those houses.  The plant in my city sent a plane an hr  down the assembly line and off  Britain.  They have  a Yankee Air force Base there now housing the old aircraft and a museum

They were good people, humble, and hard working. It was sad they weren't housed better t,han they were. Many of them stayed after the war, and went to work in the auto plants, which switched over to peacetime manufacturing.

Honored Contributor

We got a lot of use out of our bikes, wagons and sleds.  I enjoyed my playhouse and school setup in the basement during the winter months.   My radio, Midge doll and books kept me quiet in my room.   

Respected Contributor

For me it was a doll house. I would arrange all the rooms. My younger brother always rearranged it. I kept it until I knew that I wasn’t going to have girls. I had three sons. Gave it to my neighbors daughter.

Esteemed Contributor

Definately ...my Ginny Dolls.....loved them.....and my mother actually made little outfits for them......