Respected Contributor

Our big big move back to family in CA is now definitely upon us.  Our kids want us "home" and we miss them - so March is THE date.  

I have been blowing hot and cold, neighbors saying don't go, will miss you, you're silly to move back to family, you will regret it, etc etc.   Family calling come on back - and I have been praying to myself the last few days for some signs we are making the right move.

Then just this weekend several things have happened one after the other  - which I will not burden you Ladies with - which reaffirms our decision that family is first, "friends" after.  Not mystical or anything just happenings that showed us where our priorities lie and we feel this is right.

We are now feeling totally secure with this right decision.  Amy of you Ladies 'suffered' this way?

Honored Contributor

Follow your heart.  

Honored Contributor

I always trust gut feelings, and signs.  

Esteemed Contributor

For me & DH it’s family first hands down!! Good luck to you!!

Trusted Contributor

@dulwichWhy can't your family move to your city? Earthquakes, taxes, gang violence, high apt rents, high cost to purchase a home, property taxes would be a big factor in not moving to CA. Don't let superstition make up your mind on such an important event that will affect you long term. 

Honored Contributor

@dulwich You must do what's best for you.  In the end friends are wonderful, but they have their own families, you have yours.

It sounds to me like you made the right decision.

I (like many my age) will be getting my house in order (i.e. repair, etc) to sell it.  I'm not quite there yet (to actually move) but I'm getting it repaired and ready.

My oldest daughter lives maybe 40 minutes from me.  I live alone and have amazing friends, but they are friends.  They help me all of the time but I know when it came down to it, my daughter still has my best interest.  She handles all of my investments so I know she 'has my back' (so to speak). 

My youngest daughter in Denver recently found a phone number of a Dr I needed to visit here where I live when I couldn't find the number.  She called the Drs office and made an appointment for me that day.  That's the kind of things only family can do for you.

Tell everyone you'll miss them and they can come to visit.  Enjoy their kindness and love but stay on the straight and narrow to move.  Good for you.

Trusted Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

Follow your heart.  

@dulwichYou need to follow your head in such a life changing decision.  Go to an expert to help you if need be, a counselor or a financial advisor...someone who is not emotionally affected by the drama in your life.  

Respected Contributor

@puttypiesmom  No it was nothing to do with superstitions I am with you on that one - the occurrences  - funnily enough over three days 4 happenings independent of each other - which were kind of 'signs' to me practical events, quite hurtful and surprising, with people I called friends who I was sad at leaving - made me realize and value what I have in family.  Lesson learned!

Luckily we have accommodation already out there so no mortgage  and we are the only ones not now in CA. We did live in CA  many years ago when we first came to U.S.  Thank you for your input.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Big Decisions - Signs?

[ Edited ]

Been there.  Altho I had moved from my hometown and back a few times, the last time I left was different. I knew none of my friends would come to visit. Ever. I was okay with that.

If you want a "sign", I struck up a conversation with a woman I didn't know.  She asked "how do you feel as they're loading the truck and you're turning in your keys"?

I said : "Not a tear in my eye" 

Trusted Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@puttypiesmom  No it was nothing to do with superstitions I am with you on that one - the occurrences  - funnily enough over three days 4 happenings independent of each other - which were kind of 'signs' to me practical events, quite hurtful and surprising, with people I called friends who I was sad at leaving - made me realize and value what I have in family.  Lesson learned!

Luckily we have accommodation already out there so no mortgage  and we are the only ones not now in CA. We did live in CA  many years ago when we first came to U.S.  Thank you for your input.

@dulwichI'm happy for you that you already have accomodations but CA would be the last place on my list of places to live.  Add wildfires to the list.  Good luck to you and yours.