Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@Moonchilde  Get ready for that cream tea dear friend!

Looking forward to it 😻 @dulwich  :-)

Tomorrow would be a bad day though - rain-wind-stormy stay-inside weather (finally!) 

And you will even be able to purchase herbal meds, if you should ever desire ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My mother loved sayings - most of them were true. She would say in regard to large decisions that if it happened easily it was meant to be - but if it was difficult or heartbreaking it probably wasn't meant to be. Our move from Pa to Florida went very easily and smoothly. It made us feel confident we had made the right decision.

Trusted Contributor

I believe in God given signs. He helps us make decisions. As someone who is praying for a move also, I understand! Don't let anyone "guilt" you into staying or going. If my neighbors who are also friends knew i wanted to move, which they don't yet, I know they would question my desires etc., and also lay out the we'd miss you too much ( and they'd miss watching my cows frolick and the baby calves being born would probably be more of a factor than anything!) But you know, my life isn't about someone else's happiness. It's about me being happy and where best I can serve the Lord. So, if your being led back to family @dulwich then that's where you're supposed to be. If it feels right, then it probably is. Just continue to pray for guidance, and you will receive it. 

Honored Contributor

I’m glad you have found peace about it and it sounds like it could be good for everyone. Whereabouts are you moving from? 

Honored Contributor

It can be so unsettling to be unsure of your path, or if the decisions you are making are going to be the right ones.

Let me just say that regardless of which path one chooses, there will be positive things and negative things come from any choice, and I think we tend to forget that.  We somehow expect to have one choice be the perfect one, when in fact neither will be perfect. 

Best of luck in your choices, and know that you have to make decisions like this with a real balance of head and heart, and not let either rule your judgement totally.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@mac116 wrote:

When my MIL was getting older, she made the choice to stay in Ohio with her friends over moving back to where her whole family lived.  Fast forward...friends died, developed their own health issues, or moved to be with family.  She ended up very sad and lonely, and not well enough anymore to move back.  Oh how she regretted her choice! For most of us, family is more important. 

It’s a gamble either way.  I know couples who moved to be back with family, only to be disappointed that the grandchildren were more interested in their friends than in them once the kids reached the pre-teen years or the adult child moved away for a job promotion:/

Oh so true. 

The phrase 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' is not limited to romance, but is a very real aspect of living away from family too.

Many families that have some distance between them get along famously because of the fact that they have some distance between them. 

Being close (geographically) isn't always as satisfying or as wonderful as it seems it will be, or even as we remember it being, when looking back through those rose colored glasses.

Honored Contributor

Do what makes you happy and (as my mom would say) remember; you can always make new friends and you will.  You only have one family.  You made the right decision because true friends who have your best interest at heart would not have tried to influence you.  

Contributor

I have been thinking of moving closer to family for the past couple years. I have a sister 14 hours from me and another a plane ride away. This past year I have been 80-95% sure I would move. Now I'm 100% spending Thanksgiving with extended family 17 of them) and crying the 2 day trip home, made it 100%. 

Ill be moving in 18 months when I retire. Starting the process of weeding out and looking for condos (won't buy for another year but want to see what is out there). I'm moving to a city when my sister onced lived, I really like it, and I will be able to take my current health insurance with me. 

The only thing i regret regret is that the move is 18 months away. LOL

Im looking forward to being by family (4 hours and 90 minutes away) and doing all the gatherings with them. It will be nice to be around kids and getting to be auntie to them. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Big Decisions - Signs?

[ Edited ]

Personally best choice for me. Retired moved closer to family. Several reasons, Son lost his Dad two years ago. Tired flying twice a year. Finally! Granddaughter. Never regret the decision. Best wishes on your return home.

Honored Contributor

My girls and my grandchildren.  Wouldn't want to live without them.  I'm very serious about that, I could not survive.

I have extended family 200-300 miles away, but except for my little brother, I like seeing them occasionally, however, that's it.  We really have no impact on each other's lives.

My beloved sister is gone six and a half years now.  I'll never get over losing her.  We spent many years living far apart and I can't ever get those lost years back.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986