Honored Contributor

Re: A Memory Lane Question: Growing Up, What Was Your Favorite Toy and Why?

[ Edited ]

My mother gave me two little Madam Alexander dolls and a travel case for little girls.  The travel case was packed with little outfits for each doll, including hats, dresses, nightgowns and robes, and a formal gown for each.

She had stayed up nights while I was asleep, designing and sewing.  I kept the dolls, the travel case and outfits all these years.  They mean so much to me and I miss her every day even after all these years.  I make sure her granddaughter knows what a wonderful and loving woman her grandmother was.

Honored Contributor

Since toddlerhood, one thing - books. Books were always my favorite gift, second was music.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can't name just one toy. There are toys I embraced throughout childhood that are seered into my memory.

• Lennon sisters paper dolls
  • Big stuffed bear that my older cousin gave me. I used to tell the bear my problems
  • Schwinn blue bike
  • Book of children's poetry
  • doll as tall as I was 
  • plastic slip-on heels
  • Dale Evans stick horse, vest and hat  
"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

There were 6 of us kids and we didn't get  much, but one year I got paper dolls that came in a booklet.  You would "punch" them out of the booklet and I would make clothes for them out of sheets of paper!  Had sooooo much fun "designing" outfits for those paper dolls!

We would also get oranges, nuts (in the shell that we had to crack open) and candies.  I can still see the little tinsel tree my Mom would put up as well !

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember a lot of the same toys but I also got a Mr. Potato Head but I was never allowed to use a real potato only the styrofoam that came with it because my father lived during the depression and would not allow me to waste a potato.

One of the few things he ever said about living then was he lived near someone who threw their potato peals out in the yard and the person's  relatives would come and get the peals out of the yard.

Respected Contributor

I got a doll named Judy Littlechap for Christmas. She looked like Jackie Kennedy. I loved her. She was supposedly about 16. I had a prom dress for her and a casual outfit for when she was going to high school football games. 😊

She fell from my grasp when Mom took my hand to cross the street in our local town.  Then she rolled into the gutter, and all the way down to the sewer grate.  She toppled over the edge and fell into the sewer pipe below. One of the saddest moments of my young life. We could see her but not rescue her. ☹️☹️☹️

I come from a large family. Mom was a SAHM. Dad worked hard. We had what we needed, clothes, food, a warm home.  Not a lot of money for extras.  There was no quick replacement of my cherished doll. Still, it was nice to know that the next day my older brother hopped on his bike, a fishing pole in hand and chomping on gum, he pedaled to town. He fastened the ABC gum on a line, knelt at the top of the sewer grate and tried to hook Judy!  It didn’t work but we still laugh about this. 

Honored Contributor

One year I got a Bonnie Braids doll. She was ****** Tracy's little baby. She was dressed in a pink  gown that sort of looked like a christening dress and a bonnet

She had vinyl braids  and a smile with 1 tooth, She came with a tooth brush and a tube of Ipana tooth paste.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh it was definitely dolls.  I particularly remember Betsy Wetsy (feed her a bottle and she wet her pants) and Tiny Tears (cried real tears), but I loved them all.  All of my dolls were baby/small child dolls; Barbie didn't come along until I was too old, but I probably would have loved her, too. 

ETA Had to come back to say that I almost forgot my Gerber baby doll.  Mom had to save Gerber Baby Food labels for that one. She didn't drink or wet, but her face was a perfect replica of the baby on the Gerber labels. Just a plain, rubber doll, but I loved her dearly!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I had an aunt & uncle who were wealthy importers & traveled all over the world 🌎 .They would always buy me a doll in every country they visited.I had quite a beautiful doll collection!! Those dolls were my favorites.

I never had a daughter, I have a son.I hope to someday have a granddaughter to pass these beautiful dolls to.

Honored Contributor

i received more clothes each xmas. My parents were not into toys. We got underwear,socks, maybe a blouse, or skirt for xmas.

i do remember a pretty doll i got one year, i was in 2nd grade and i did get a bike one year. That was it as far as toys.