Honored Contributor

Re: 11,458 new cases in Florida since yesterday

I've seen three people posting online that they missed their scheduled test (one worked late, the other two didn't go due to other issues) then all three got notified that they'd tested positive for Covid-19. Bear in mind they'd never gotten tested. Either there's some really sloppy record keeping going on, or something else, but we're seeing some things that make you go, "What?"

There are also some reports of unused swabs being sent in and coming back positive. Either labs are having contamination and record keeping issues, or someone is cooking the data, but none of those options are good. If they're confusing samples then some people who are testing positive are being told they're negative and could be out spreading the virus, while others who truly are negative are being stressed with false positive results.

The great news is the death rate is dropping a lot. As long as that keeps dropping it's a good thing. That's the one number that's hard to manipulate. I'm not sure how much I trust any other number right now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I've seen three people posting online that they missed their scheduled test (one worked late, the other two didn't go due to other issues) then all three got notified that they'd tested positive for Covid-19. Bear in mind they'd never gotten tested. Either there's some really sloppy record keeping going on, or something else, but we're seeing some things that make you go, "What?"

There are also some reports of unused swabs being sent in and coming back positive. Either labs are having contamination and record keeping issues, or someone is cooking the data, but none of those options are good. If they're confusing samples then some people who are testing positive are being told they're negative and could be out spreading the virus, while others who truly are negative are being stressed with false positive results.

The great news is the death rate is dropping a lot. As long as that keeps dropping it's a good thing. That's the one number that's hard to manipulate. I'm not sure how much I trust any other number right now.

Interesting points @gardenman. I've noticed that about the death rate too, and I think that's a great sign.

Last night I was thinking about all of the people who are getting tested multiple times--like every day or those who have to have 2 negative tests before getting out of quarantine.  Seems odd to include those in the data since it's the same person over and over.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

My local evening news just came on, beginning with this staggering statistic. 11,458 new cases since yesterday. It's scary to think about this. I just want this to be over. 

My state has also had a huge increase in cases and is the only midwest state on the map showing states with record new cases.  Our governor thinks it'll go away in June (yes, last month) and keeps telling people to 'do the right thing' but at least half the people won't.  She won't do anything about it either.

Respected Contributor

New York has had the most deaths from COVID-19 in the U.S (32,215), followed by New Jersey (15,257), Massachusetts (8,172), Illinois (7,224), Pennsylvania (6,800), California (6,331), Michigan (6,218), Connecticut (4,335) and Florida (3,703). Texas has reported 2,648 deaths and Arizona (1,805).

~worldometer

Honored Contributor

Thankfully I learned years ago not to believe everything I read or hear. Lots of false and incorrect info being tossed around. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those who take comfort that with the thousands of new cases daily, the death rate is going down, wait.

There is a lag time of a few weeks between new cases and serious illness and death.  And when the ICU beds are filled, decisions will have to be made over who will get specialized care. I will tell you, in NY, at covid's height,  we had a difficult time caring for a hospital full of serious ill patients.  There is not enough staff to adequately care for a hospital full of critically ill patients.  Even with vacations cancelled and overtime.  And tears would roll down my cheek every night driving home because despite our best efforts people died.  More than in my 35 years of nursing combined. People in their 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's  died  a lot.

Please, everyone wear masks , socially distance and wash hand frequently.  This is not the flu.  People go into cardiac arrest  unexpectedly, lungs totally shut down and blood clots are causing strokes  and sudden death.   I'm a nurse and I'm afraid for our future.

Honored Contributor

Data will never be perfect. But the data we're seeing cannot be dismissed by throwing up your hands and saying you don't trust anything now.

And yes, of course it takes up to a month for the death rate to rise.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

For anyone praising NY on their handling of this mess you should now that this thing is in no way over in this state. While we have press conferences acting like something great has been accomplished, the people behind the scenes doing the work 12+ hours a day are already seeing numbers they don't like. And they assume we'll be in an upswing in August. 

The one thing they think will help for now is that less people could be on public transit because of nice weather. They're hoping that this way we actually flatten the curve as opposed to before but they for sure aren't banking on that.The thinking is that we could go up in August and then stay at those levels for a while and then spike way up in the fall.

Keep yourselves safe people!

Frequent Contributor

I wonder what the numbers are today?  We know a lot about the behavior of the virus from the NY experience.  We could superimpose that pattern of virus behavior on surging states like Florida and Texas to better understand our situation and the possibilities.

After the NY shut down began, all major indicators (deaths, hospitalizations, cases) continued to rapidly go up for about two weeks, then it peaked.  Instead of immediately going down, it plateaued for about two or three weeks, afterward it began to go down very slowly for another two to three weeks until they finally got deaths under 100 persons per day. 

If we use this framework and superimpose it on Florida, if they shut down now, there would be about two weeks of continued surging numbers on all indicators, followed by about two weeks of the plateau, then a slow gradual decease in numbers for about another two to three weeks.  Under this pattern of virus behavior, it would take about a month and a half or two months of shut down time to get the virus under control in Florida.

Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

Who really knows because of the high false positives, the common cold creating false positives, and the test not telling you the current state of the infection.  Since 85% go zipping right through with few if any symptoms, bring on the herd immunity.

@Blahblahvampemer 

It would be good to provide some source for your statement that there is a "high false positive" rate. 

But, if as you assert there are so many false positives then those would considerably lower your statistic of 85% "zipping right through" as they don't even HAVE this virus, their test was just wrong.

Your faulty information just keeps coming.