Honored Contributor

11,458 new cases in Florida since yesterday

My local evening news just came on, beginning with this staggering statistic. 11,458 new cases since yesterday. It's scary to think about this. I just want this to be over. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 11,458 new cases in Florida since yesterday

@Mindy D , that is very scary.  I pray that things get better soon.  LM

Honored Contributor

Isn't that at least partly because more people are being tested???  Front page of NY Times notes that the number of cases has increased 89% but the number of deaths from the virus has gone down 19%.  

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Isn't that at least partly because more people are being tested???  Front page of NY Times notes that the number of cases has increased 89% but the number of deaths from the virus has gone down 19%.  

@kaydee50,  deaths are going down because it is mostly younger people that are testing positive now.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Total U.S. deaths at this time are 131,500 and rising, so something is going on. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

@kaydee50 Our current positivity rate is 14%. That is way up from three weeks ago. This is really scary. It's not just because there's more testing. There's more virus too. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

The percentage of people tested has gone up, but the percentage positive for the disease has gone up as well. If things were getting better, fewer people would be testing positive, or it.would at least be the same rate of increase as the testing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Yes, it is very scary when numbers spike because of negligence.  I am sorry for everyone in the hot spots.  I am at NJ and we went through a very tough time along with NY, it was very stressful and so many lives lost.

However, it is somewhat better , the virus still here of course, but quarantining, wearing masks, social distancing and decent state leadership guided.  

I hope the same for your state, Mindy D,  listen to the experts and let common sense prevail.  Stay safe and be well, you will get through this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Uh huh... and what is it that anyone here is to do about these daily counts? Certainly, folks are free to post them, but I'm of the opinion that those who want them know where to find them without them screaming out to everyone as soon as we open the Community Chat forum. It's fine to tell people to scroll on by, but contrary to popular opinion it is not so easy to avoid the virus threads on these forums and still be able to peruse them as we should all be able to do.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I hope they decide to postpone opening Disney World...