Honored Contributor

Re: 11,458 new cases in Florida since yesterday

Testing may have increased, but listen to the hospital workers and health experts. We are still not testing as much as we should. And now, with this surge, it's even worse.

Tests are not just for finding out whether you are positive; it's also a crucial part the data in terms of learning where the hot spots, who are most vulnerable based on age, health, race, etc.

It's crucial for getting ahead of this pandemic.

In any case, what we're seeing is a true representation of a dangerous spike.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

When you check some of the tracking sites, you can see that Florida's case count per 100,000 is still about one third of New York's.  

So they have a long way to win this race.

Arizona actually is worse shape.

Esteemed Contributor

Disney World is opening on July 11. Everyone will have their temperature taken upon entry. Masks are required. Social distancing will be in place and the capacity will be limited. You will be safer going to Disney World than going to Walmart.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:
Disney World is opening on July 11. Everyone will have their temperature taken upon entry. Masks are required. Social distancing will be in place and the capacity will be limited. You will be safer going to Disney World than going to Walmart.

@Puppy Lips  

Seeing how Disney handles this is going to be interesting. 

...but WM was not a good comparison - there are a lot of people who didn’t feel safe going to WalMart before COVID-19... lol

Trusted Contributor

Who really knows because of the high false positives, the common cold creating false positives, and the test not telling you the current state of the infection.  Since 85% go zipping right through with few if any symptoms, bring on the herd immunity.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

Who really knows because of the high false positives, the common cold creating false positives, and the test not telling you the current state of the infection.  Since 85% go zipping right through with few if any symptoms, bring on the herd immunity.

@Blahblahvampemer Tell that to the loved ones of the 15-20% who do not "zip right through it".  Given the number of positive cases right now, that's a whole lot of people.  My 90 year old FIL was just diagnosed as positive.  There is a greater than 30% chance that he will die from this.  I find your comments offensive.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know 5 people who have had or have the virus right now. One has passed away,3 have recovered and one is very ill right now. 4 are from NY ( my home state) and the one that's very ill right now is from Florida. This is her 7 th day with a fever,unable to eat,horrible pains throughout her whole body, dizziness,nausea. She's having a really rough time. She's in her 50's not her 80's. You don't know how this virus will react in your body. Everyone's different. Don't take for granted that you will sail right through it.

Trusted Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer Tell that to the loved ones of the 15-20% who do not "zip right through it".  Given the number of positive cases right now, that's a whole lot of people.  My 90 year old FIL was just diagnosed as positive.  There is a greater than 30% chance that he will die from this.  I find your comments offensive.

I'm sorry that your FIL has this, dear Linmo.

I've posted a few times already that it is thought that I had Covid before testing was available, and before all of us had the opportunity to buy/wear masks.

I have Asthma, and I thought that I was sick with Bronchitis back in Feb., and then again at the beginning of March.

My husband was also sick at th end of Jan., and then I got sick after he did. I felt that when I was sick in March, that I had some of the symptoms that you have with Covid.

I had trouble breathing normally, so I went to Urgent Care.

I also could not taste or smell anything for a few days--at all. I lost my complete sense of taste and smell. It was scary, and it was really bizarre. 

I also felt very nauseated, like I was going to be sick. I had to force myself to eat, because of the chronic health issues that I have.

I did not "sail through it."

I "struggled through it," having to monitor myself at home, and having to watch my breathing at home too, while I waited for the extra medication that I was taking from Urgent Care, to take effect.

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I wear a mask when I go out and I cannot wait to get to my car after about 30 minutes in a grocery store.   My hot steamy breath in the mask feels horrible on my face since I breath a lot through my mouth especially in a mask.  I just cannot imagine walking around in 90+ temp. and humidity all day in a mask.  I just don't see how that could be enjoyable.  

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

I'm so appreciative of your kind acknowledgement @Linmo. My family has experienced ONLY one death and one very sick old woman, who survives from day to day. She's been Covid positive for over three months. I don't know what that means, and apparently the CDC doesn't either, but, luckily, I've been informed that since she's so old she's practically worthless anyway.

Somehow that doesn't seem too comforting to me, after not being able to hug her or hold her or joke with her in person since March.

The death? A sensitive misfit cousin-in-law with a HUGE heart that could get him into trouble but also earned him gangs of loyal friends. Worthless too, I guess.

Just not to me.