Valued Contributor

I rarely buy books, I wait until they are available at the library then download it to my Kindle. If you don't know how to do this all you have to do is download the Overdrive app to your Fire or tablet or whatever device you are using. Create an account and add the library you are a member of. You have to belong to a library because it will ask for your library card number. Then you can download books. You can have them sent to your Fire but I don't like to read on that so I have it automatically sent to my Paperwhite. It's pretty easy and self explanatory once you download the app.

Honored Contributor

@Rose429 wrote:

Have u noticed how much kindle books have increased in price?  I went to buy a book for my kindle tonight and it was a dollar more than the hard copy!! It seems they have worked on getting people over to E-readers and decided to take advantage by really increasing prices. 

Yes! And it drives me crazy when the Kindle version is more expensive than the paperback or the hard bound book. They pricing has gotten ridiculous. I can see why paper books are picking up in popularity again.

Contributor

I don't mind paying for an author I love, but I will save money by checking to see if the book is available online throught my local library.  I was surprized on all the recent program updates at my library like the OVERDRIVE  that works with my Kindle and Amazon.  I don't have to drive to the library to find or return my books.  I used to avoid checking out books in the winter, worried the roads wud be too icy!  My favorite thing about downloading books, is I can adjust the text to the size I like!

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure exactly when this started but Amazon Prime now includes "Unlimited Reading" with a large library of books and magazines. I'm happy to see this thnough there are still plenty left for us to want to buy! 

Respected Contributor

I'm so glad you mentioned this! I was buying some the other day and I was stunned to see them so highly priced! The last time I purchased I think the highest price book I bought was $5.99! This time, the lowest priced book was $6.99! Yikes! Where did the .99 - $2.99 books go?

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

Re: VRe: Price of Kindle Books

@AuntG wrote:

Got my Kindle as a gift and while my intent was to use it as a reader, I found I still prefer books.

One of my fears is that my grandchildren won't know the joy of holding a good book! There's something special about feeling the book, its weight, the way the paper sounds when it turns, and the scent of the paper! It's kind of like phonograph records...there is a "crackle" sound that is as wonderful as it is annoying! 

Respected Contributor

Re: VRe: Price of Kindle Books

Ok, dumb, dumber, and dumbest here! How do you do that?

Respected Contributor

It's my understanding that Amazon does have control over e-book pricing. This is from their direct publishing terms

5.3.4 Customer Prices. To the extent not prohibited by applicable laws, we have sole and complete discretion to set the retail customer price at which your Digital Books are sold through the Program. We are solely responsible for processing payments, payment collection, requests for refunds and related customer service, and will have sole ownership and control of all data obtained from customers and prospective customers in connection with the Program.

It states that this particular page was ammended September 2016, but I think the bolded statement has remained the same. They try to maintain competitively low prices. https://kdp-eu.amazon.com/agreement?token=eyJjbGllbnRJZCI6ImtpbmRsZV9kaXJlY3RfcHVibGlzaGluZyIsImRvY3...

By 2015, Amazon also renegotiated contracts with some big publishers allowing them to set their own e-book prices, which is why you see,This price was set by the publisher.” , more than ever before.

"With the latest deal wrapped, Amazon appears to have reached a truce, of sorts, with the publishing industry. Since last fall, the e-commerce giant has successfully renegotiated contracts with four of the five big publishers—Hachette, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, and Macmillan. The terms of all the contracts, per the New York Times, let the publishers decide their own e-book prices, but also gave them financial incentives to keep those prices low. Arrangements that give the publisher complete control over e-book prices are known in the industry as “full agency” models."  http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/04/14/what_the_amazon_harpercollins_deal_means_for_e_book_p...

Respected Contributor

Thanks, @skuggles, for the references.  Most ebooks from my favorite authors are issued at $14.99.  I've decided that I will not pay that so I add them to my wish list and I'll wait for them to be reduced.  I've tried getting books through my library system, but I must have the worst system on the planet because many of the newly published mystery and suspense novels are not available.  I think the library must wait to buy them until the price is reduced, too!

Honored Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

It's my understanding that Amazon does have control over e-book pricing. This is from their direct publishing terms

5.3.4 Customer Prices. To the extent not prohibited by applicable laws, we have sole and complete discretion to set the retail customer price at which your Digital Books are sold through the Program. We are solely responsible for processing payments, payment collection, requests for refunds and related customer service, and will have sole ownership and control of all data obtained from customers and prospective customers in connection with the Program.

It states that this particular page was ammended September 2016, but I think the bolded statement has remained the same. They try to maintain competitively low prices. https://kdp-eu.amazon.com/agreement?token=eyJjbGllbnRJZCI6ImtpbmRsZV9kaXJlY3RfcHVibGlzaGluZyIsImRvY3...

By 2015, Amazon also renegotiated contracts with some big publishers allowing them to set their own e-book prices, which is why you see,This price was set by the publisher.” , more than ever before.

"With the latest deal wrapped, Amazon appears to have reached a truce, of sorts, with the publishing industry. Since last fall, the e-commerce giant has successfully renegotiated contracts with four of the five big publishers—Hachette, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, and Macmillan. The terms of all the contracts, per the New York Times, let the publishers decide their own e-book prices, but also gave them financial incentives to keep those prices low. Arrangements that give the publisher complete control over e-book prices are known in the industry as “full agency” models."  http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/04/14/what_the_amazon_harpercollins_deal_means_for_e_book_p...

The information you posted from Amazon is for their self-published books published through their Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) arm. In KDP the author can choose the price, but there are minimum and maximum prices allowed. I have five books published through KDP and a short story about to go live. As long as your book falls within those price ranges (above the minimum and below the maixmum) Amazon lets the author set the price domestically. The page you posted is from their European operation and not the domestic one and pricing gets complicated overseas with value added taxes and other fees varying from place to place. Because of that Amazon has to retain the right to adjust the price to compensate for those issues. 

I generally price my books at $4.99 (US dollars), but when you look at how that price translates into the various overseas markets, it varies from location to location. The price in Germany will be different from the price in England, Italy and Spain.

Amazon has only a little control over the price of traditionally published books. The publisher sets a wholesale price and then lets retailers decide on the price. In the early days of e-readers, Amazon would sell some e-books below cost to promote the sales of Kindle e-readers. The publishers then started to hold back digital copies of the books and insisted that Amazon could only sell the books for full retail price. Lawsuits ensued and Amazon ultimately won, but the publishers still sets the wholesale price of the books. If Amazon wishes to lose money selling e-books they now can and the publishers can't hold books back from them, but publishers have just increased their wholesale prices to force Amazon to either lose more money per book, or sell the e-books for a higher price.

Amazon would be thrilled to sell every new title for $4.99 if they could make money at the $4.99 price, but publishers will set their wholesale price now at  $9.99 or more (typically more) and if Amazon offered the books for $4.99 they'd be losing $5.00 per book sold which they can't afford to do.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!