Honored Contributor

I haven't noticed an increase. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

With the cost of books these days, all I can say is, thank goodness for my library! I've rarely bought books over the course of my life because of the wonderful libraries I've had at my disposal. My district has one of the finest libraries in NY state and I'm very proud to be a member.

There were times I had 30 books in the house at one time, as you can take out as many as you want, and renew them 25 times, 3 weeks at a time, which gives you almost 1-1/2 years to read a book! The funny thing is, I would keep them in the house for that long, and the week before the last renewal, I'd suddenly decide I wanted to read a certain book, and I'd have to either rush through it or pay a fine!

Now that I mostly use electronic books, they have Overdrive so I can take out seven Kindle books for 3 weeks per book, and since my hubby has an account as well, just double that. So now I have 14 books per 3 week loan, which of course is way more than I can read, but at least they're there if I want them.

It's so easy to get free books, I have no need to buy them ever. If my library can't order the Kindle version, I can always order the paper books, and if the library doesn't have it, they will purchase it or they can get it through interloan.

I don't have the urge to own books, as I know many of you do. I'm overwhelmed with "things" in my life and at this point I'm looking to downsize.

However and whatever you all read, just enjoy!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

I don't buy books anymore.  I go to the library.  I read around 50-60 books a year so I can't afford to buy books.

Trusted Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

No, I don't buy many Kindle books. Never have. 

I can get plenty of free ones from Amazon, or borrow from the library. I've got Prime so I also get a free book each month, if I am interested in the ones offered.

Did you happen to go into Kindle First today----none of the books are free.

What's up with that?

Respected Contributor

They're free for me.  Are you logged in?

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

@debic wrote:

They're free for me.  Are you logged in?

Thanks debic----that was my problem.