Valued Contributor

Re: Do you have an author who never disappoints?

@sassenach1 wrote:

@Novemberbaby wrote:

I love all Michael Connelly books, Harlan Coben, many of James Patterson. I could go on with more.

Michael Connelly is one of my favorites.  I've loved every  Harry Bosch book.  Loved all of Harlen Coben's Myron Bolitar series.

I am currently reading Two Kinds of Truth, and I can't put it down.  I haven't read many of Michael Connelly's books - but that's about to change.  I can't wait to read more of his books.

Valued Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

Robyn Carr, Greg Iles, John Hart & Nelson DeMille.  

I am finishing up Mississippi Blood by Greg Iles, and started The General's Daughter by Nelson DeMille,  I think I read The General's Daughter years ago - but don't remember it.  That's one of the perks of getting older and more forgetful. LOL

Valued Contributor

Jo Nesbo, Sarah Dunant, Ken Follett, Jeffrey Archer, Louise Penny are among my favorites.

Trusted Contributor

@joannecha

I have many, it depends on the genre. The classics never disappoint from Cervantes, Cicero, Jane Austin, Goethe or Moliere 

If I know the language try to read them in their original version.🌻

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@joannecha wrote:

Just opened David Baldacci’s newest, “End Game”, and am totally enthralled. He is one of the authors who never disappoints me. Others for me are Nora Roberts, Sandra Brown, Donna Ball, Cat Coulter, John Grisham, Alice Hoffman, John Lescroart, Daniel Silva, and Brad Thor. How about your lists?

@joannecha

Well, I was quite happy to discover John Sandford  this year, and am now reading his entire Virgil Flowers series in order. 

I have also read about 10 Sandra Brown novels this year and have more on my "to be read" stack.

Past authors are Sue Grafton and John Grisham.   At one time I really loved Janet Evanovich but her last few books were only "okay".   Pity.   

Respected Contributor

My newest favorite author, who I discovered only by talking with another parent, a total stranger to me, while waiting for my child's music class to end, is Jonathan Maberry, who wrote Patient Zero, which is an excellent novel and great starting place to discover his talent.  I had never heard of him until I spoke with this lovely woman who raved about his writing, which I would classify as high tech horror.  I am on a third "Joe Ledger" novel right now (one of a series of Maberry's many books), and I love his descriptive writing skill, depth of his characters, and the sometimes all-too-real science and technology in his books.

I highly recommend this author, and I am someone who avidly used to read Dean R. Koontz, Stephen King, Peter Straub, and Michael Crichton, among others.

Respected Contributor

Dean Koontz

Stephen King

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Hilary Mantel is outstanding...the best.

Roald Dahl

Stephen King

Shirley Jackson

Alison Weir

Dickens

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@CHIP62 wrote:

@joannecha

I have many, it depends on the genre. The classics never disappoint from Cervantes, Cicero, Jane Austin, Goethe or Moliere 

If I know the language try to read them in their original version.🌻

@CHIP62  You took the words right out of my mouth!  I also like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but you have to learn to go with the flow on those.  Truman Capote has a real way with words and ideas, although some are off the rails.  And David McCullough is fabulous!  And Virginia Woolf and Doris Kearns Goodwin. . . oh too many to think about!

I enjoy "getting there" as much as the story, so I read a lot of the great literature (classics and modern) for the words and ideas, and love biographies and history too.  I have read almost every president and first lady's biographies or autobiographies.  Doesn't matter what their political affiliation, I always learn something and appreciate their service more. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Present: Wendy Corsi Staub, and Kevin O'Brien

Past: Helen Van Slyke, Sidney Sheldon

@CANDLEQUEEN- OMG Helen Van Slyke and Sidney Sheldon! Two of my all-time favorite authors!

Sidney Sheldon's books kept me up all night, and I'm not kidding. I mean literally all night. I was much younger then, and could fake being wide awake the next day. Today not so much, but yet I still sometimes read into the wee hours.

I seem to remember that The Other Side of Midnight was one of the best books I've ever read. That ending!!! All his books were exceptional. And Helen Van Slyke's books were so romantic!  I'm not sure how they would fly today, but back then when I was younger I was in love with all her female characters.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett