Honored Contributor

📚Do You Have Too Many Books?📚

This may help you to prioritize your collection.

Need to purge books but you aren't sure where to start? Check out this handy flow chart with tips for how to get rid of books the smart way.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 📚Do You Have Too Many Books?📚

I was just discussing this with my hubby the other day because we have three full size book shelves in our home and I want to downsize them but would hate to throw the books out,  I mean some of them can be trashed but the majority of them are hardcovers that we've had for generations because my parents and grandparents were all about reading since I could talk.  This chart is what I planned to follow as I make my decision otherwise I will not be able to part with any of them.

I've been checking online and with some of charities in my area that take books.

Respected Contributor

There is no such thing as to many books!! LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I

get     to

make up 

my  own

list

Keep it.

Woman Wink

Contributor

What Kitlynn said!!
Honored Contributor

Wouldn't your local library take those books? Our library took most of our books when we down sized. We were able to recycle magazines and paperback books and duplicate books our library would not take.

Honored Contributor

Last time I was at the thrift store, I bought 36 books.    I keep them in large "gift bags"............and when I've finished with them, I donate them back to the thrift (bag and all).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

My house used to be overrun with books!  Then I downsized to an apartment, and consolidated all my books into one small, three shelf bookcase.  And truthfully....it's fine. The ones I saved were special for different reasons....but I realized if I want to read a book that I got rid of...I can always repurchase it, go to the library, download it.....it's been a good lesson in paring down the "things" for me.  

I like the idea the poster had who said they buy books and bag them up again as she reads them...then donates them!  That's a great idea.

Once in awhile I'll see a book I want to read at a garage sale...once I read it I put it in the donation bag or pass it on to a friend I think might like it.

Regular Contributor

I agree.  IK love to read books.  They are everywhere in my home.  Sometimes I reread them, but I do give many away and I know they are shared by my friends.

Regular Contributor

Yes!  Some I will keep but I plan to make a pile to donate to the library one of these days .  Speaking of the library, I do not buy books anymore, I rent them as I used to do back in the day.   Much more cost effective.