Trusted Contributor

Any independent book stores in your area?

It's getting harder and harder to find small independent book stores. I live in "the boonies", a small town  in west Michigan, but we have a small used book store about 10 miles away that I just love. Whenever I go, I plan on spending about half an hour of browsing time. Any around where you are and do you spend time in them?

Honored Contributor

Re: Any independent book stores in your area?

I live near 2 college towns and there are independent book stores in those towns, but nothing in my town.

Honored Contributor

We have one here that has grown over the 20? years it has been down town.  It's extremely well known, and has readings.

Honored Contributor

I was just reading that a new independent book store is opening up at a small outdoor mall near me.  It well be heavy on children's books as two teachers are the owners.  There used to be a huge Borders there and I miss that store.

Honored Contributor

Full Circle in Oklahoma City is a treasure!  It is worth the trek into town to browse and buy there!  We are blessed to have it!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes - downtown has a bookstore, heavy on children's books, but has several genres.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I too live in the boonies.  We have plenty of independent book stores as well as a well stocked library!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Yes. There is a family that owns about 6 bookstores scattered in the various cities.

That said, they really downsized their largest store; it's about 1/4 of the size it once was. But they are cute stores and besides books they sell unique paper items, gifts, have internal cafes, and are the only place around where I can buy my beloved Kliban Cat calendar every year.

Honored Contributor

there are no independent bookstores that i know of in my area......even two of the LARGER bookstores have closed in our area over the past few years, one just recently. i really miss them. we DO have a great used bookstore close by though.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

Yes. There is a family that owns about 6 bookstores scattered in the various cities.

That said, they really downsized their largest store; it's about 1/4 of the size it once was. But they are cute stores and besides books they sell unique paper items, gifts, have internal cafes, and are the only place around where I can buy my beloved Kliban Cat calendar every year.

I bought my sons Kliban Cat sheets when they were small -- the cat in red tenniesSmiley Happy