Esteemed Contributor

Re: 📚Do You Have Too Many Books?📚

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

I was just discussing this with my hubby the other day because we have three full size book shelves in our home and I want to downsize them but would hate to throw the books out,  I mean some of them can be trashed but the majority of them are hardcovers that we've had for generations because my parents and grandparents were all about reading since I could talk.  This chart is what I planned to follow as I make my decision otherwise I will not be able to part with any of them.

I've been checking online and with some of charities in my area that take books.

Please keep them.  I do not like paperback and prefer hardcover, but they are getting hard to find.  There are books on Amazon that I would love to have, but can't get in hardcover Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

O/T but related.  I did get another Origami bookshelf.  Still not sure where it's going.  But it was on sale, free shipping and I had a 20% coupon.  How could I pass that up?  Woman Happy

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

yes but it doesn't bother me.   Sometimes I take a few to the library for their book sales.   

Occasional Contributor

I agree, you can never have too many books!  Seriously, I have been buying books for about 40+ years so I have lots of books.  I have been retired for 4 years so I have lots more time to read then when I was working.  I love wandering around a bookstore or a library.  I have loved books & reading as far back as I can remember.  I really enjoy this forum & getting ideas on what everyone is reading.

Contributor

I grew up in a large family, we had books all over the house.  As different as my siblings are, visiting them in their homes, we ALL are still surrounded by books.  Lots of them.  I have bookshelves in all the bedrooms, and the family room.  And book storage in other rooms as well.  I belong to 3 libraries, use my cards all the time, but if there's a book I just have to have, not available at one of the libraries, I will buy it.  Having books nearby makes me happy. (:

Regular Contributor

Not now, years ago it was a problem but I've been reading most, if not all, my books on my Kindle since Kindles came on the market.  I bought one and I never looked back.  Generally, I read 1 or 2 paper books a year but I haven't bought a physical book at all in 2017.  A book comes out and I either pre-order it or order it and like magic....there it is.  And I do not have all that clutter!!

Honored Contributor

I cleaned out my bookcases and donated.  I now go to the library once a week.  I have built in bookcases in family room so I kept a few of my favorite hardcovers.  

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono,

Yes, my house is a mini library. Love your decision tree however as a book fan I have developed a bond with some of them and I will need a third party to do the triage🌻

Trusted Contributor

I do NOT have too many books.  However, it IS possible that my house has an inadequate foundation!

Respected Contributor

There's no such a thing as 'too many books'.

I find it comforting to have a pile of reading. That's the fun of retirement-staying up late to read in bed.