Honored Contributor

Re: What eye shadow color can I use to brighten my eyes?

@beach-mom wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think a liner helps define your eyes no matter what color they are. Using a complimentary color liner just above your regular dark liner will also help bring out your eyes.

@SilleeMee   Yes....and if eyes are deeper set, using a thin white liner right above the darker liner makes the eye come forward and is very flattering. I also like using a colored liner as a thin line under lower lashes. I usually use shadow and smudge.

@Shanus - Question again!

I used to wear a liner halfway in under my lower lashes. It was always a color, never brown or black, and usually a very thin line of whatever shadow I chose.  I know I told you in another thread that an Anastasia rep told me not to wear mascara or anything on my lower lashes because of my hooded, deep-set eyes, and you did agree with her. I've been following your advice about my crease area and I'm really happy with the noticeable change- thank you!  Can I wear a liner halfway in, or should I avoid liner and mascara on my lower lashes completely?

I was a Stila fan before forever! I used to call to order from California before we could do it online. I remember Jeannie Lobell saying in an article never to use foundation as an eyelid base. So I stopped. Currently I use Anastasia's. I've also relied on Laura Geller's French Vanilla as an all over wash of color and just a colored eyeliner with it. Do you agree with what Jeannie said about no foundation on the eyelid? 

@AngelPuppy1 - Like others, I've enjoyed reading all of the good advice on your thread. You have plenty of choices!  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom   The best reason concealer shouln't be used on the lid is because of its texture and hopefully creaminess. It can cause shadow to crease or slide. The best thing to use, if you have darkness or veins on the lid and want to begin with w/ an even out/lightened lid (yes!) is a eyelid primer OR a waterproof shadow stick in a light neutral matte shade. I also set my primer w/ a light matte shadow before going on to crease or other shades if you use three.

If you enjoy liner under the eye, try dotting it between lashes instead of underneath if you have hooded, deep set eyes. Liner is for definition, so only going part of the way underneath can look a bit weird. In this case, it's all or nothing. I will say, if I were doing your shape eye, I wouldn't line or do mascara under the lower lash line because it can drag the eye down and also make the eye appear smaller. What does help is a nude colored pencil on the inside of the lower lid. It takes away the natural redness there and helps the eye look larger by continuing the lighter color of the whites of the eye. White pencil is not a good choice because as we age, the whites of the eye actually begin to yellow. It may not be noticeable until you place white there, but it's not a good look. 

If you enjoy a colored liner, I prefer a darker one like charcoal, navy or a very dark purple that has a black or brown base. With hooded eyes, the trick is to make the liner very fine and hold the pencil facing downward into the lash line and push the pencil into the lashes and smudge with a brush or q tip. Hooded eyes have less lid space and too heavy a liner takes up space on the lid leaving little room for shadow and when eyes are open, you only see liner. Practice by always doing your upper liner with eyes opened. If all you see is mostly liner and not much lid, you'll know you were a bit heavy handed and need to do a thinner line.

I hope I answered your questions. Enjoy your Sunday. 

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:
KatCat, umm, I don't think it's a shade I would venture out past the mailbox in with it applied more than just the very inner corner for a pop of brightness. Since I accidentally bought three of the exact same shade I'm going to give one to my granddaughter. She will be able to get away with swiping it over the entire lid Smiley Happy

@monicakm   Not sure about the inner corner placement. If anything, I would place a tiny amount at the outer corner and blend well into the lighter lid shade in the center. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus 

I might just try a primer as you suggested instead of a shadow.  I don't want a lot of steps.  And yes, I have to careful what I use on my eyes because of the rosacea.  Thank you! 

@AngelPuppy1   If you'd like less steps, try a waterproof shadow stick in a light shade as primer. It can be a pale almost skin tone shimmer if you prefer. It can be worn alone, as I sometimes do as a one step eye w/ mascara or with shadow. 

I'm not sure I agree with brown mascara. Black always gives more definition. If you feel it looks a bit harsh for you, wipe the mascara wand on tissue first, so only a bit is applied to lashes. You can wiggle it at the base of the lash where we want more definition and the look of thicker lashes and then slowly go up the lashes with what's left on the wand. 

***If you'd like less irritation removing mascara with a product, tubular mascara slides off each lash with warm water on a cotton pad. Nope, not lashes you see in the sink or on the pad...it's the tubes" of mascara. 

Honored Contributor

I use well rested and bisque from Bare Esscentials as my eye primer, brightener and camo for  that purple color at the corners of my eyes near the bridge of my nose--then neutral palette from urban decay for my lid---all matte and nothing shiny or racoon like

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I'm interested in finding a nude colored eye pencil but all I can find is white and I am not using that!   Can you suggest where I might find a nude eye pencil?  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Just Bling 

Whew!  I'm glad all my ColourPop shadows are made in the US Smiley Happy  My Huda palette was made in Italy.  Juvia's Place pallets are made both in the US and China.  JP claims they have strict policies in their China made products.

@monicakm  of course they do  Smiley Wink

China does not animal test on products that are exported, only products that are sold in China are animal tested that could be their strict policies????

Would be interesting if you e-mailed them and asked them specifically what their strict policies are?  Wonder if they would tell you.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

Yes I'm guilty of not reading through all the responses but given your eyecolor purple is the Way to go! I'm sure it's been said multiple times already!

Respected Contributor

@monicakm 

I just went to the Juvia's Place website and I think I read the entire site, must of missed it but I didn't see any products listed with either their ingredients or country of origin?   

I saw the cruelty free disclosure and I mentioned that earlier.

Love their intense colors and it looks like a little goes a long way.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@tucsongal 

This is a powder I take it?  Does it make the lids look dry?  Thank you.

——————-

Yes, it’s their original loose powder. My lids tend to be oily so I don’t have an issue with powder shadows. I don’t want it to look like I’m wearing eyeshadow so I go for some “brightening” like you mentioned. The other color I use(with a primer) is Mac’s Blanc Type, but the Well Rested is just easier 😁. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

If you find black AND brown to be too harsh on your eyes but they need definition, pinch a brush and use it with brown shadow to use for liner.  I spray my brush with setting spray to dampen the shadow and make it last longer.