Honored Contributor

What eye shadow color can I use to brighten my eyes?

Need help --- again!

I haven't used eye shadow for quite a while and need some suggestions.  My eyes are not what they used to be that's for sure!  Used to be my best feature but now at age almost 69, are kind of sunk in and blah looking!  So, I really need some kind of eye color that is not --- boom --- in your face, but will bring a bit of life to my eyes!  My eyes are a blue-green color, kinded of a faded color, and I am fair.  My hair is mostly a salt and pepper, light.  I used to use brown and tan for shadows but they just seem to make my eyes look more dead and tired now.  My skin tone is fair and has a bit of red to it.  Any suggestions???  Thank you as always!  Also -- what formula --- satin, sparkly, matte --- or what????  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: What eye shadow color can I use to brighten my eyes?

I am in need of some new eye makeup, too. My eyes are green and old and everything looks off. Seems many shadows have red or orange in them and that looks horrible as the day wears on. I was wondering if I should just stop wearing shadows altogether but them my eyes just disappear. Will be following this one. 

Esteemed Contributor

I always find that using a good matte light pink on my lid really makes my eyes pop (in a great way). An eye shadow primer that is tinted light pink (only matte) is the best. Bare Minerals makes a great one.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  This is a very good question for Dominique Sasche, who has a Utube channel with plenty of tips and tricks for us aging gals - from fashion, hair, lifestyle, diet, and especially makeup.  Check her out if you can.  She's very pleasant to listen to.

I think she would suggest buying a pallette, of colors that are pleasing to you, and play around with them.  There are a ton of pallettes out there.  Browse the Sephora site or Ulta site and check out their eyeshadow pallettes.  Go to a store and look at them in person if you can. 

I'm thinking the darker shades of neutrals would be a no-go, but maybe the lighter neutrals and lighter pastels would make a difference.  And maybe a deep brown mascara instead of black to go with it.  Check her out.  I think you'll be pleased.  Woman Happy

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pink can be hard eyeshadow color to wear.  If your eyes or lid margins are reddish at all it will make your eyes look even redder, especially if you have blue eyes.

@AngelPuppy1  From your good description, I  think you might look good in lavender, cool color purply shades, not dark or dramatic, nothing with a red undertone. Satin or matte. My friend has green eyes and brown/ tan shadows look horrible on her too. I have blue eyes and shadow choices seem limited, especially when you're not 25 anymore.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Need help --- again!

I haven't used eye shadow for quite a while and need some suggestions.  My eyes are not what they used to be that's for sure!  Used to be my best feature but now at age almost 69, are kind of sunk in and blah looking!  So, I really need some kind of eye color that is not --- boom --- in your face, but will bring a bit of life to my eyes!  My eyes are a blue-green color, kinded of a faded color, and I am fair.  My hair is mostly a salt and pepper, light.  I used to use brown and tan for shadows but they just seem to make my eyes look more dead and tired now.  My skin tone is fair and has a bit of red to it.  Any suggestions???  Thank you as always!  Also -- what formula --- satin, sparkly, matte --- or what????  

@AngelPuppy1   Most women, our age, begin to lose definition in the eye area and also experience some darkness. Just shadow isn't the answer...it's prepping the area first.

Do yu use corrector and concealer under the eye? Then I suggest a light colored primer on the lid. I use Laura Mercier in Linen or Trish McEvoy Eye Basics in the lightest shade. They both give enough brightness that sometimes they're enough brightness that I don't add shadow.

You're correct about the tans, browns and taupe shadow not being the best now because those are warm colors and your grey hair looks better with cool tones like light  purples, lilac, pale greys and soft off whites. My faborite palette now is Natasha Denona's Glam Palette. Yes, it's spendy, but not if you consider every shade will get used. It's all cool toned. I have the same coloring as you except olive green eyes. Because your skin has some red in it, I'd stay away from all the pink shadows that seem all the rage now. They also can make "rabbit eyes" unless you're willing to do a darker liner and a crease shade and of course mascara.

Since you have an issue w/ rosacea, I'd do the less is more look on eyes because you don't want to do a lot of rubbing with eye makeup remover to get it off and cause any irritaion. 

Honored Contributor

I use a primer on my lids.  I was using the Bare Minerals primer and switched to Trish McEvoy.

Matte pale pink is my go to.

I have several jars of Bare Minerals Demure that I have picked up over the years.  It's the perfect pale matte pink for me.

Trish McEvoy has one that I use for travel (less messy) in the Classic Eyeshadow Line called Shell.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I use a primer on my lids.  I was using the Bare Minerals primer and switched to Trish McEvoy.

Matte pale pink is my go to.

I have several jars of Bare Minerals Demure that I have picked up over the years.  It's the perfect pale matte pink for me.

Trish McEvoy has one that I use for travel (less messy) in the Classic Eyeshadow Line called Shell.

@VaBelle35   Yes, I use the shell shade to set my primer and then proceed from there. Many times, using shell with liner and mascara is my favorite every day look. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think a liner helps define your eyes no matter what color they are. Using a complimentary color liner just above your regular dark liner will also help bring out your eyes.

ETA- What also helps emphasize your eyes is using an eye whitening product, like Visine or Lumify. I use one when I want to look extra special. The whites of the eyes make a big difference on how your makeup looks overall.

Honored Contributor

Liner is key for me.  I can't tell you how many times I have either forgotten it or didn't have time for it and all day at work people would ask me if I was feeling well.  LOL

It took me a few times before I realized what was wrong.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN