Respected Contributor

Re: What Do We Call “Normal?”

Normal?

There is nothing normal about this name changing of things.

They are all of a sudden worried about every little thing offending someone out there.

I mean seriously??

If the word "normal" on a product offends you for whatever possible reason, 

... hmmm ... then don't buy it.

It really is as simple as that.

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think they will replace it with the word "balanced." Just what I think though.

This woke stuff is getting pretty crazy. What's next? If people in this country do not wake up our country will cease to exist.

Trusted Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@amyb wrote:

My humble, "fatigued" on ALL this, opinion (and I'm not baiting or fighting, Q, though I'm sure some will think I am)...but I just simply feel that soon...we are not going to understand what anything is anymore. We've jumped the shark on this.  I believe, we as a society, culture...are shooting ourselves in the foot.  Nothing will be communicated right, everything supposedly needs to be "redefined" it's all, imho, flippin' insane.  And becoming too confusing. ...not to mention, in many cases, for really no purpose or effective "change."

Normal to dry skin to me means not Oily, not overly Dry. ie. Neither of the extremes. Balanced. Insults no one. insane.

The sad thing is it's a small percentage of people who are pushing these ridiculous new rules. These people have far far too much time on their hands and I am convinced are unhappy people. 

My exact sentiments!  I have been saying this for the last two years.  

WHY OH WHY are people jumping on the bandwagon is beyond me.  

There is a city school that wants the children to stop using the label Mom and Dad to describe their parents ... 

This ridiculousness will end when people push back.

There is a new label - Super Straight describing s  e   x ual orientation.  Its

getting funny but then again ... serious too.

Valued Contributor

The inmates are running the asylum.

Honored Contributor

OK, here it comes....the "poofer". I've had to purchase my curly hair products for many years in the black person's section. It still hasn't been incorporated into the mainstream haircare products aisle. I don't give a fig where I have to look to get my extra moisturizing conditioner, but surprised these stores have not come under scrutiny yet for placement of this haircare.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm happy to see that this thread hasn't been poofed yet and I'm also happy to read comments echoing my sentiments. The "woke"  crowd is simply trying to cancel/eradicate/redefine/rename everything average (if I can even use THAT term) Americans consider "normal" or traditional. All part of the cancel culture. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

Skin can be dry, oily, combination...very few times the term "normal" is used.

@Shanus  It was used for many years in Clinique's advertising. Remember their Clarifying Lotion 2? 

Edited..just checked they changed the nomenclature. New world, I guess...

Esteemed Contributor

Before one moves into outrage mode, might pause a sec to try and remember any normal labeled product.

Seems like my hair has to curly, long, colored, lacking moisture or gasp!! damaged.

They might be pranking us 😜

Honored Contributor

Well, since this thread is still hanging on, I'll speak my piece.

I don't take one change in product labeling as being the end of the world. It's ridicules to extroplate it to the idea that we're losing are values (whose values?) or some such thing.

The outrage is really more about not wanting accept a new look at how we approach one another. It's only "cancel culture" it its YOUR idea of what is the way to treat people who have been hurt and exploited for generations. Yes, it can go too far. That's typical during changing times.

Those who shout about it don't need to be afraid. It's a big tent, and we all should covered.

As for the idea that the idiots and the insane are NOW running things? That's a blatant social and political jab with which I totally disagree.

As an aside: Please forgive any spelling blunders. Some of you know my condition and how it affects my writing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

There seems to many answers about "normal" referring to life in general. This is posted in beauty. I think normal skin and normal hair is just that and has nothing to do with COVID. When things calm down, so will all the word changes.

The implications here have nothing to do with Covid.  It is about being politically correct - God forbid we offend the "oily or the dry" people. 

This has been discussed here before - people go out of their way to look for things to be offended about. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!