Respected Contributor

Re: What Do We Call “Normal?”

When trendy marketing hype gets to a ridiculous point, I just put the package back on the shelf and move on.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@godi wrote:

Pretty soon it will all be generic labels. 

Can't say what I'm literally thinking, because it'll put this rational discussion out of commission...but..

it does give me pause...when I picture that...reminds me of countries others have fled to America from....

(all that label changing is insane too) 

Generic everything? Sad. On so many levels.

I'll be using the actual correct word for "normal" skin...it still applys. It IS normal in the way it is intended here...ie. balanced, not oily or dry.

It's not the same as someone saying "that's not normal" to someone about their way of life, for instance...to which people often respond...well, "what's Normal?" "says who?"

this is SKIN TYPE!  

🙄

Honored Contributor

Skin can be dry, oily, combination...very few times the term "normal" is used.

Respected Contributor

I don’t know that is really a PC thing. I think it’s marketing. Shampoo doesn’t come in dry, normal, oily any more. It comes in moisturizing, volumizing, color treated, color repair, toning. There’s enough categories everything has a descriptor. Same with body wash and soap.
Trusted Contributor

Okay, I peeked in my thesaurus and found the following--made me laugh to think of incuding any of them in advertising--you, too, maybe, if you're a word nerd:

ordinary, standard, usual, normal, typical, regular, unexceptional, mediocre, second-rate, uninspired, undistinguished, ordinary, commonplace, middle-of-the-road, mainstream, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, unmemorable, indifferent, humdrum, nothing special, everyday, bland, run-of-the-mill, not very good, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish; acceptable, passable, all right, adequate, fair, middling, moderate, tolerable; North American garden-variety; informal OK, so-so, bog-standard, fair-to-middling, (plain) vanilla, nothing to write home about, nothing to get

Honored Contributor

And that's okay, I still consider myself normal and sorry if it offends anyone.

Respected Contributor

You don't have to be careful unless you are out in the public.  No one I know cares about the small things.  And I come from the crowd who would care.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

Don't EVEN get me started!  I am not politically correct and all this politcal correctness nonsense makes me want to move to a cave in Serbia!  The voice of one small radical group can change life for EVERYONE and people seem to just roll over and take it Smiley Sad  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have any aversion calling normal, "balanced." I have balanced hair and balanced skin.

Normal, though, is much more open to interpretation when you are speaking of relationships, taste, the psyche, and so on.

Respected Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@amyb wrote:

My humble, "fatigued" on ALL this, opinion (and I'm not baiting or fighting, Q, though I'm sure some will think I am)...but I just simply feel that soon...we are not going to understand what anything is anymore. We've jumped the shark on this.  I believe, we as a society, culture...are shooting ourselves in the foot.  Nothing will be communicated right, everything supposedly needs to be "redefined" it's all, imho, flippin' insane.  And becoming too confusing. ...not to mention, in many cases, for really no purpose or effective "change."

Normal to dry skin to me means not Oily, not overly Dry. ie. Neither of the extremes. Balanced. Insults no one. insane.

The sad thing is it's a small percentage of people who are pushing these ridiculous new rules. These people have far far too much time on their hands and I am convinced are unhappy people. 

@Lali1   Yup.  The majority has to conform to the minority now.  Our society is doomed.