Honored Contributor

I guess it's my own fault I should lower my expectations. July was my birthday month so I wanted to get my "free gift". I really didn't need anything but there was something I wanted. I placed an order and got the Tarte set, exclusive colors Amazonian Clay Blush in Paaarty and Matte Lip Paint in Birthday Suit. These colors run warm and not suitable for me at all. I tried the blush, I have never used this brand before, and found it to be very powdery. I tossed both in the trash. Also I don't get why Sephora has you pick 3 samples, I usually never get them. I didn't get any of the 3, I got 2 useless ones. I also got the Ulta gift which wasn't bad (NYX eyeshadow palette), the shades were warm, not my colors, I gave it to my sister. I'm done with the "free gifts".

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2  I hate to admit how many stupid buying mistakes I've made over the years just because I had a coupon and/or something was on sale.

Retailers know we do this -  and they know we do it over and over.  It's built into all the selling gimmicks I can think of whether we're talking everyday items like at Bed, Bath or major jewelry say at Saks. 

I'm still trying to shop by advice I read some months ago.  It has pulled me away from shopping sales gimmicks, sales, and coupons UNLESS I ALREADY NEED OR REALLY WANT an item. ALREADY seems to be the key word because I don't let the gimmick tempt me. I'm still spending,but I'm not regretting mistakes right now and that feels so good.

Respected Contributor

I dont purchase from Sephora as much as I once did. The points are a joke-everything is sold out or 20000 points, and I still have real difficulty navigating the 'improved' website.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Jordan2  I hate to admit how many stupid buying mistakes I've made over the years just because I had a coupon and/or something was on sale.

Retailers know we do this -  and they know we do it over and over.  It's built into all the selling gimmicks I can think of whether we're talking everyday items like at Bed, Bath or major jewelry say at Saks. 

I'm still trying to shop by advice I read some months ago.  It has pulled me away from shopping sales gimmicks, sales, and coupons UNLESS I ALREADY NEED OR REALLY WANT an item. ALREADY seems to be the key word because I don't let the gimmick tempt me. I'm still spending,but I'm not regretting mistakes right now and that feels so good.

Especially no gifts w/ purchase. They're not gifts. I usually purchased something I wasn't out of yet just to get another cheap makeup bag and a lot of sample size products that get tossed.

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

I dont purchase from Sephora as much as I once did. The points are a joke-everything is sold out or 20000 points, and I still have real difficulty navigating the 'improved' website.

Last year I was VIB Rouge (guess that means spent a lot of $). This year just VIB....I've really cut back on cosmetics and skincare!! 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2, if you have a Sephora in your area, you can just go and pick up your birthday gift.

I'm curious, though, as to why you didn't return those items? Just wondering. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I love the Tarte 12-hour AC blushes...and the color of this one looks pretty.  I'm excited to get it!  Not sure if the lippie will work or not, but maybe I can layer it.

I haven't picked up Ulta's NYX palette yet.  I think that will be terrific for Fall Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

The only "perk" for me is that I can get 20% off items I use or give as gifts every year; especially as these items RARELY if ever go on sale. Since I only buy during that sale and because it's in the Fall (right before the holidays), I make one huge purchase and that's that.

I have over 10,000 points because there is NOTHING I want and, like everyone else mentioned, the good stuff is always gone. 

The bad news is they are now going to have their points expire at the end of each year. Even more of a reason to shop elsewhere.

Respected Contributor

Re: Sephora Disappoints

[ Edited ]

I recently received a 10% VIB coupon.  I ordered my favorite blush and received an email stating that one of my items was coming, but the blush wasn't available.  Really?  There is something going on with this company.  This isn't the only time they have done this to me.  The points and rewards are pretty much a joke now. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Jordan2, if you have a Sephora in your area, you can just go and pick up your birthday gift.

I'm curious, though, as to why you didn't return those items? Just wondering. :-)

@suzyQ3, I don't have a Sephora near me, I wish I did. I wanted what I ordered, I wouldn't return something I got for free.