Trusted Contributor

Any suggestions for improving the look of one's hands? I don't have sun spots, but my hands don't look smooth and youthful. I'm 50, so I don't expect them to look like the hands of a 20-year-old. The skin is not loose or veiny, but it looks kind of crepey, especially my left hand. It got worse after I had a weird allergic reaction about 8 months ago that caused my hand to swell and blister.  Moisturizers make them softer but don't make any difference in the appearance. TIA

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  is a resident expert on skincare.....perhaps she has some suggestions.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Apply Oil Of Olay Anti Aging Moisturizer with SPF 30 to the hands after shower or bath. My physician said Oil of Olay is the best moisturizer for hands.

Esteemed Contributor

Try a scrub and retinol or Retin A? I use all 3 in rotation followed by a good moisturizer

I don't have sunspots but my hands get very dry. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Old Looking Hands

[ Edited ]

FWIW, Olay is not cruelty free.

Mary Kay isn't either.

Nor is Algenist.

Honored Contributor

see if your doctor will write you a script for Lac-Hydrin.

Honored Contributor

@ElvisShops wrote:

Any suggestions for improving the look of one's hands? I don't have sun spots, but my hands don't look smooth and youthful. I'm 50, so I don't expect them to look like the hands of a 20-year-old. The skin is not loose or veiny, but it looks kind of crepey, especially my left hand. It got worse after I had a weird allergic reaction about 8 months ago that caused my hand to swell and blister.  Moisturizers make them softer but don't make any difference in the appearance. TIA

Supplement with collagen peptides, drink bone broth, drink lots of water.  

Regular Contributor

About a month ago, I started using Algenist's Genius Liquid Collagen Body Mylk on my hands at night.  Then I apply a moisturizer.  The change has been dramatic.  The crepiness is all gone.  I'm in my 60's.  Right now, the Body Mylk is a Beauty IQ Steal at $39.  That's a great price and it lasts a long time.

Respected Contributor

Mary Kay makes a set called "Satin Hands" which is a softener, a scrub and a moisturizer. Comes in fragrance free or white tea. It's not cheap but it really works well. I have to keep my hands up for playing an instrument and it's great esp in winter.  

Esteemed Contributor

Whatever skin care I apply to my face, I also use on my hands -- that includes Vitamin C serum and Retinol cream.   I've always taken good care of my hands, but I feel that adding the Vit C and Retinol years ago has kept them smooth and crepe-free (is that a word?).  At 70, I have very few age spots on the backs of my hands, and these are so light you have to look for them.  I also apply a body/hand lotion several times a day (really don't know if one brand is better than another.-- just use something that moisturizes).

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt