Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Shanus---thanks---we all go thru some S**T in our lives and I will take what I have right now and be thankful that everything is going so smoothly. I am very lucky and things that used to bug me, no longer do as that is not important anymore---ugly hands still cook, and clean and pet a cat---no complaints!!!

@wagirl   Petting the cat is VERY important!  Heart Kitty the Fuzz

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Re: Old Looking Hands

[ Edited ]

Hand transplant? Woman Wink Really hard to correct the damage done, we should had wore spf all over us ,when we were younger.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Diet, water, moisturizers, spf aren't going to do much.  Do as Joan Rivers and others her age do, fillers. I use First Aid Beauty cream all the time, nothing. Eat healthy, wear gloves when washing dishes, love, love drinking H20, nothing. SPF, yes, but not religiously.

Honored Contributor

Hands get gnarly looking faster because they are washed so often and are exposed to the elements all the time. And it's hard to keep sunscreen on them due to continual hand washing and other work.

If you are willing to be ultra diligent with sunscreen after each wash, the same treatments as you use on your face can help. But if you know you won't keep putting on sunscreen, those treatments would be worse than doing nothing because most of them make the skin more sun sensitive. In that case, a good long lasting hand cream, like the ones recommended in this thread, would be your best bet.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Apply sunscreen to the tops of your hands.  The left hand and face of most people usually looks older because when we drive, the sun hits our left side.  The sun is very damaging.

Honored Contributor

@ElvisShops  I use a body lotion that has Vitamin C and E in it.  I use it daily.  It's by Fresh and 10 oz., for $23.  However, there are beautiful scents instead of wearing perfume.  Otherwise, go to the drugstore and get yourself a hand lotion with vitamins and use daily.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Ladies, it's tough keeping your hands/nails looking presentable (forget younger). Mine are in acid, filing metal, split from a miss with the saw (!?!?). Then when painting, although I try to wear gloves, sometimes fingers are just better for blending. Also there's constant hand washing w/ detergent in my studio to remove grease, paint and grime.

Yes, my hands may have looked better if I was knitting or doing something more cautious, but these hands have brought me many decades of joy. They've paid the price. Artists usually have less than stellar hands/nails. 

When not in studio, I'm extra diligent w/ my lotions and potions, sunscreen and before bed, oil up my cuticles before applying cream to my forearms and hands. 

The important point is we do what we can and accept the outcome knowing we made a good effort. Short of surgeries, procedures, etc. most women "of a certain age" are all in the same boat.

Let's unite in our happiness to be alive and hopefully well instead of dwelling on the negative, inevitable signs of aging.

Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Whatever skin care I apply to my face, I also use on my hands -- that includes Vitamin C serum and Retinol cream.   I've always taken good care of my hands, but I feel that adding the Vit C and Retinol years ago has kept them smooth and crepe-free (is that a word?).  At 70, I have very few age spots on the backs of my hands, and these are so light you have to look for them.  I also apply a body/hand lotion several times a day (really don't know if one brand is better than another.-- just use something that moisturizes).

Came to say the same thing. I have very few fines lines and no wrinkles on my face, but my hands and face show far more signs of aging. (I think it's partly genetics and partly because when I worked outdoors for many years, I always covered my face in sunscreen, but wasn't as good about my arms, hands, or chest.)

I usually would squirt serums and moisturizers onto the back of my left hand before applying them to my face and noticed that the left hand looked better than my right. My skincare always showed better results on my hands than my face because there was more work to be done there. Now I use everything for my face on my hands and chest, too.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. My derm gave me some samples of DLM Forte today. I will try that, but I am also going to look into some of the suggestions here. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Call me crazy, but I have been putting Vics on my hands, making sure to massage it into and around my nails before going to bed every night .  Works and I love the fragrance. 

edited to add, I also massage it on my feet to keep them smooth. On cold nights, I add socks. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet