Honored Contributor

@ElvisShops wrote:

Any suggestions for improving the look of one's hands? I don't have sun spots, but my hands don't look smooth and youthful. I'm 50, so I don't expect them to look like the hands of a 20-year-old. The skin is not loose or veiny, but it looks kind of crepey, especially my left hand. It got worse after I had a weird allergic reaction about 8 months ago that caused my hand to swell and blister.  Moisturizers make them softer but don't make any difference in the appearance. TIA

@ElvisShops 

Maybe try using AHA (glycolic acid) lotion....one with at least 10% GA. Best to apply it at night and that way it stays on your skin to allow for maximum effect which is exfoliation and some collagen production. GA is known to penetrate the layers of the skin to stimulate collagen. Other acids, such as lactic or salicylic, only treat the upper layers. By using GA  instead, overtime, it may help with that crepiness and help smooth things out. I recommend Alpha Skin Care lotions. Their body lotion contains 12% GA. They also have others with 10% and also a serum with 14%. Whichever one you decide to try be sure to leave it on as long as possible to allow for the GA to penetrate. 10%, minimum, seems to be the magic number when it comes to using GA long term. Woman Happy

@Desertdi 

'Expert'? I'll take that as a compliment! Thank you. Woman Very Happy

Regular Contributor

@ElvisShops wrote:

Any suggestions for improving the look of one's hands? I don't have sun spots, but my hands don't look smooth and youthful. I'm 50, so I don't expect them to look like the hands of a 20-year-old. The skin is not loose or veiny, but it looks kind of crepey, especially my left hand. It got worse after I had a weird allergic reaction about 8 months ago that caused my hand to swell and blister.  Moisturizers make them softer but don't make any difference in the appearance. TIA

@ElvisShops I'm in the same boat. I was using Sirot products for awhile, but now I can't find them. It seems like there are some good recomendations on this post I need to consider.

Honored Contributor

My hands look like witches hands---nails a awful and won't grow from chemo treatment years ago and just plain ugly-----very thin skin with dark blue veins, not many brown spots tho--just ugly!!! Never wear rings or bracelet anymore--don't want to emphasize them at all-----and I have to say---I really don't care what they look like--they still work!!!

Trusted Contributor

My grandmother sed to put a cream called Lady Esther on her hands and then sleep in white gloves.  Her hands were pretty and the skin looked so soft.  I have no idea if Lady Esther cream is still in production.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

My hands look like witches hands---nails a awful and won't grow from chemo treatment years ago and just plain ugly-----very thin skin with dark blue veins, not many brown spots tho--just ugly!!! Never wear rings or bracelet anymore--don't want to emphasize them at all-----and I have to say---I really don't care what they look like--they still work!!!

@wagirl   I'm so sorry for all you've been through, but you're correct. The important thing is your hands do work. 

Esteemed Contributor

First Aid Beauty Ultra Reapir Cream. It's great and it lasts thru multiple hand washings. I swear by this product. It works well on feet as well as the body. A lilttle goes a long way so it lasts a long time before you get to the bottom of the tub/jar.

Honored Contributor

@ElvisShops   I agree w/ suggestions here for acids, retinols/Retin A, Vit. C, moisturizers and doing the same for hands as you do for your face. Exfoliating is very important, as is using a gentle cleanser...no harsh, drying soaps. 

Here I go again, but all will be for naught if you don't use moisturizing hand cream with SPF. Yes, it's a PIA since wash hands during the day many times, but have a small tube (inexpensive ones from Target) in my bag and at every sink in the house for after hand washing. 

I also wear gloves doing dishes, house cleaning and in my studio (medical gloves). As soon as weather gets below 50, always wear my gloves outside even in and out of car for errands.

You'll be amazed how quickly you'll see changes in your hands using all these great suggestions in these posts.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus---thanks---we all go thru some S**T in our lives and I will take what I have right now and be thankful that everything is going so smoothly. I am very lucky and things that used to bug me, no longer do as that is not important anymore---ugly hands still cook, and clean and pet a cat---no complaints!!!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl   💗

Honored Contributor

@Shanus---Woman Wink--back at ya!!!!