Respected Contributor

My daily routine post-shower is Mad Hippie Vitamin C serum, JM Argan Milk, then just a few drops of JM Argan oil.  At least for the time being my skin loves this combo and looks better than ever.  The eleven lines between my eyes have softened considerably.

Not saying this routine will work for others, but it has been a game changer for me.  

Oh, and I remove my eye make up with Argan.

Respected Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
@RooRoo I mix several drops of the oil into my moisturizer in the palm of my hand before applying. If I apply it on top, I feel like it just sits there. Mixed in, my skin drinks it up.

@RooRoo, this or the moisturizer first.  It's important to get whatever product has water on to your skin first.  Oils aren't really great barriers, butters are better.  Things like beta glucan and other proteins are also barriers.  Sea kelp bioferment is a very nice barrier.  Then there are the true occlusives.  Believe it or not, there are actually four "occlusives" recognized and given that designation by the FDA.  let's see if I can remember all four:  cocoa butter, silicones, petrolatum, and I believe allantoin.  Barriers and occlusives assit is preventing TEWL (trans epidermal water loss). 

Super Contributor

thanks @Rachb, same with me.  If I apply on top, I feel like it just sits there.  I will mix it in.  Also @Bella Carro, how interesting!  Arent most chap stick type lip balms some sort of beeswax?  I didnt realize the FDA only had four, and so many products fit in just these four categories.

Respected Contributor

@RooRoo wrote:

thanks @Rachb, same with me.  If I apply on top, I feel like it just sits there.  I will mix it in.  Also @Bella Carro, how interesting!  Arent most chap stick type lip balms some sort of beeswax?  I didnt realize the FDA only had four, and so many products fit in just these four categories.

@RooRoo, good point on the beeswax.  Not sure why that wouldn't be on the list.  Maybe I'm mistaken and my list is incorrect.  Beeswax surely is occlusive.  I wouldn't use it on facial skin, though.  I'll look it up but I imagine it's highly comodogenic.  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Josie Maran's Argan Oil

[ Edited ]

@Bella Carro wrote:

@RooRoo wrote:

@RooRoo, good point on the beeswax.  Not sure why that wouldn't be on the list.  Maybe I'm mistaken and my list is incorrect.  Beeswax surely is occlusive.  I wouldn't use it on facial skin, though.  I'll look it up but I imagine it's highly comodogenic.  Thanks!

@RooRoo, okay, the key word is "approved".  The point being one that is unlikely to be an allergen which is why beeswax and even something like lanolin would not be approved.  On my bratty iPad which doesn't seem to get along with Q's coding so can't post a link.

Honored Contributor

@Bella Carro, I've been using Medicine Mama's Apothecary Ultra Beauty Balm often as both my moisturizer and barrier. It does have beeswax in it, but I've had no problems whatsoever with that ingredient. Googling tells me that it is moderately low on the comedogenic scale. But of course, it's always a YMMV kind of thing. Many positive reviews online, though, are from those who have skin problems.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Bella Carro, I've been using Medicine Mama's Apothecary Ultra Beauty Balm often as both my moisturizer and barrier. It does have beeswax in it, but I've had no problems whatsoever with that ingredient. Googling tells me that it is moderately low on the comedogenic scale. But of course, it's always a YMMV kind of thing. Many positive reviews online, though, are from those who have skin problems.

hi suzyQ3, I have been using the Medicine Mama's balm on my hands & the other day it was so cold out, I put it on my face before bed and again the next morning.  I love that stuff but, after applying to my face, I had 2 blemishes that I noticed.  That's why I was asking about the beeswax.  I think MM's balm is great and will apply to my face again but maybe not both morning and night, lol.

@Bella Carro, thanks for looking that up!  Learn something new everyday :-)

Honored Contributor

Re: Josie Maran's Argan Oil

[ Edited ]

@RooRoo wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

hi suzyQ3, I have been using the Medicine Mama's balm on my hands & the other day it was so cold out, I put it on my face before bed and again the next morning.  I love that stuff but, after applying to my face, I had 2 blemishes that I noticed.  That's why I was asking about the beeswax.  I think MM's balm is great and will apply to my face again but maybe not both morning and night, lol.

@Bella Carro, thanks for looking that up!  Learn something new everyday :-)

@RooRoo, yes, I love the stuff. I now have two back-up jars. Smiley Happy. As for breakouts, you know that it is often very difficult to prove and isolate cause. In fact, unlike allergic reactions, breakouts are not usually immediate in response to either a substance or some internal change. They do take a while to form.

But certainly, if you don't usually have any breakouts and you find that continued use of any one product that you've been able to isolate does cause that problem, then it would be wise to stop, at least for a while.

I maybe get a breakout or two on rare occasions. I've been using this balm for several months and thankfully have had no change in that pattern. I also use it on my cuticles and, when I've finished the foot balm I'm using, will use it that way as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 No doubt the Mama's balm is the bomb. It soothes my skin. Who knows why I got those blemishes but I'm certainly not blaming the product. I rarely break out so I'll just use it once daily at night. It's good stuff!  I'll definitely repurchase. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3, hey bud!  Would you mind listing the ingredients on that balm?  Not sure I'm finding a complete list.  I may be only finding "key" ingredient list.  TIA! 

Hope you are well.  Don't think I ever said Happy New Year!  DD was symptomatic again last week.  Missed three days of school and a big invitational swim meet.  This time only one ER trip and one Neuro visit for a total of two IV infusions.  At least I'm not close to strangling the Neuro this time.  Progress Smiley Wink