Esteemed Contributor

Lancome Nude Miracle Liquid To Powder Foundation

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone,

I was at Sephora's about a week ago and, after talking with a Rep, she recommended the "Lancome Nude Miracle Liquid To Powder Foundation" and helped me find the perfect shade for my skin tone.

I have usually just used a finishing powder after my moisturizer...I have good skin, thanks to my Mom...I have normal to oily skin and wanted to try something different, especially for the Winter months...I love this foundation...just a small drop is needed and then I blend in with a brush using gentle circular motions....It gives a wonderful flawless finish...I just use this alone and don't even have to bother with a finishing powder.

It gets mainly great reviews except from "Paula's Choice"...She states that there is a "high amount of potentially skin-damaging alcohol, as well as fragrance and fragrance chemicals which can irritate skin"....So, now, this has me concerned about this product...Here are the ingredients:

220 BUFF (C)

Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Alcohol Denat., Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Phenyl Trimethicone, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Tin Oxide, Water, Ruscus Aculeatus Extract/Ruscus Aculeatus Root Extract, Silica Silylate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Magnesium Silicate, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Propylene Carbonate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Linalool Limonene, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal.

Paula's Choice goes on to recommend "Boots Stay Perfect Foundation" and "Best Face Forward Foundation".

Just thought I would check here to see if anyone else uses the Lancome Foundation and would appreciate your thoughts and opinions...I have found this forum to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Thanks so much!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lancome Nude Miracle Liquid To Powder Foundation

I know everybody on this board loves Paula Begoun, so I'll probably get walloped for saying this, but I think she's a little off-base is SOME of her critiques. I personally love the fragrance that some Lancôme cosmetics have! Lancôme and loreal foundations are, in my opinion, probably the best in the market and they have a great color selection. In short, I'd take her critique with a grain of salt.

Esteemed Contributor

I would imagine all the foundations have multiple ingredients, all potentially harmful to some and not to others. I like Avon, Creme to powder that comes in a compact.  Works for me.  I also buy liquids in drug-stores-box stores.  I change off and so far I am good, no problems.  I am one to have issues but so far by changing around I seem okay.                

Esteemed Contributor

Nude Miracle came out in 2014.  At the time it was a Sephora exclusive, but it's now available on Lancome.com too.  I tried it and it reminded me of another foundation Lancome had out several years ago called Teinte Idole Fresh Wear.  That one is discontinued, but it was a sheer liquid in a tube with a soft powdery like finish.  I think I liked the former better than Nude Miracle.  I had a sample Nude Miracle and used it with no adverse reaction.

I really don't care for it when when reviewers such as Ms. Begoune base the review on ingredients (for the aforementioned reason that every will react differently to ingredients).   As a manufacturer of products she well knows that as careful as she may be in choosing ingredients allowed in Paula's Choice products that invariably there will be some people who have a negative reaction to one or more of those ingredients.  My biggest pet peeve with Begoune reviews is when she rips a color cosmetic for not containing spf.  Spf really should come from a product formulated to serve that purpose.  Makeup is the last place anyone should expect to get adequate spf protection.

Trusted Contributor

Nude Miracle SPF 15 Liquid-to-Powder Makeup comes in a frosted-glass bottle and includes a medicinal-looking pipette dropper to dispense the ultra-thin, liquid formula. Just a couple drops is all it takes to spread over the entire face, imparting light-to-medium coverage as it goes. So far, so good!

This foundation at first has an oily slickness, but it blends weightlessly and seamlessly into skin, drying down to a surprising natural-matte finish that is ideal for normal to oily or combination skin. Sounds great, right? Unfortunately, the formula is flawed in a number of ways. First, you cannot count on this to provide sufficient broad-spectrum sun protection. Not only is SPF 15 on the low end for daily sun protection, but also the sole active —octinoxate—does not fully shield skin from the sun's UVA rays (the ones that age you and can cause cancer). See More Info to find out which sunscreen actives to look for.

Making matters worse, the formula contains a high-amount of potentially skin-damaging alcohol, as well as fragrance and fragrance chemicals that can irritate skin. See More Info for the full scoop on these issues, but just know that irritation makes oily skin worse! Considering the potential risk to skin, we simply cannot recommend this foundation, despite its several strong traits.

Still, if you're curious, the extensive shade range offers several neutral, flattering options for light to deep skin tones. There are a few less-flattering shades due to their rosy or peachy undertones, and we suggest steering clear of those. Ultimately, you'll want to consider any of our top-rated foundations with sunscreen before committing to this one!

Pros: Blends weightlessly and seamlessly into skin. Dries down to a natural-looking matte finish. Extensive shade range for light to deep skin tones.

Cons: Insufficient broad-spectrum sun protection. Contains a potentially irritating, skin-drying amount of alcohol. Fragranced formula puts skin at risk of further irritation.

More Info: Insufficient UVA protection: This sunscreen does not include the ingredients needed to shield your skin from the sun’s entire range of damaging UVA rays, which is essential for anti-aging benefits. Thus, this formula should not be used as or substitute for your daily sunscreen. Any sunscreen rated as “broad spectrum” should contain one or more of these UVA-protecting ingredients listed as “active”: avobenzone, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, Mexoryl SX (ecamsule) or Tinosorb (Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 2005). Alcohol-Based Skincare Products: A significant amount of research shows alcohol causes free-radical damage in skin even at low levels (Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 2012).

Small amounts of alcohol on skin cells in lab settings (about 3%, but keep in mind skin-care products contain amounts ranging from 5% to 60% or greater) over the course of two days increased cell death by 26%. It also destroyed the substances in cells that reduce inflammation and defend against free radicals—this process actually causes more free-radical damage. If this weren't bad enough, exposure to alcohol actually causes skin cells to self-destruct (Alcohol, 2002). Research also shows that these destructive, aging effects on skin cells increased the longer skin was exposed to alcohol; for example, two days of exposure was dramatically more harmful than one day, and that's at only a 3% concentration (Alcohol, 2002). In fact, the effect of inflammation in the skin is cumulative, and repeated exposure to irritants contributes to a weakened skin barrier, slower healing (including of red marks from breakouts), and a dull, uneven complexion (Aging, 2012 & Chemical Immunology and Allergy, 2012).

At about $40 an ounce, that is some expensive makeup.  I don't like fragrance nor alcohol in any of my skin care of makeup.  So personally I wouldn't buy it.  It's your decision though.

Honored Contributor

I would never use anything on my face with alcohol, except of course the fatty alcohols. I also do not like any fragranced skin care or foundation. I have fairly sensitive skin and do not need any known irritants in my products.

I am very grateful that I can check out Beautypedia to see science-based information about ingredients. It's very helpul, in addition to just reading personal reviews.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361@bonnielu@Trix@henderson@suzyQ3

Thank you so much for your very helpful personal opinions and further information regarding this product...So much can be learned from sharing with each other.

After reading your replies and doing further research regarding various types of alcohol used in skincare products, I have definitely decided that I would feel much better finding an alcohol-free foundation...I have really been very pleased with this Lancome Foundation, but do not want to take any chances that I may, over time, actually be doing damage to my skin...As mentioned in my OP, I have been blessed with very good skin, thanks to my dear Mom, and I want to be sure to keep it that way.

So, I will just keep my alcohol consumption to my occasional glass of Red Wine which is far better and healthier for me!...LOL

Thanks again so much!...Wishing everyone a great weekend!

Trusted Contributor

I tried a sample of this once and really liked it. Didn't realize it had bad alcohol in it. I loved the finish.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

The Beautypedia reviews point out harmful ingredients. While some people may like products she rates low, alcohol is bad for everyone's skin. There are plenty of good foundations out there that do not contain alcohol.

OP - if you only need light coverage, I recommend trying the BareMinerals complexion rescue.

Esteemed Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

I tried a sample of this once and really liked it. Didn't realize it had bad alcohol in it. I loved the finish.

@morganjen...I really thought I found a winner!...I've been using it all this week and absolutely love  the flawless finish and only a small amount needed...I'm so disappointed about the alcohol content, so off I go to look for one that will be healthier for my skin.