Respected Contributor

Re: How do you clean your make-up brushes?

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I shampoo them with baby shampoo or Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap, rinse and lay them out to dry on a towel.  I'm thinking about getting one of these brush trees though.  It's supposed to keep water from sitting down in the ferrule of the brush and loosening the glue.

@mistriTsquirrel I have looked into those brush trees too. For now, I fold a few layers of towel under the handles of my brushes and let gravity keep the water out of the ferrules.

Honored Contributor

The BEST brush cleanser I have used, is the one for that sponge, beautyblender---omg---amazing cleaner and fast and rinses out easy and the brushes are REALLY clean. Tied the other stuff mentioned here and they didn't work 1/2 as good . You can get the liquid or even a solid form.

Respected Contributor

I wash mine once a week with Real Techniques Cleansing Balm using their cleansing palette. Daily I use IT Brush Cleaner. Funny thing though sometimes when I do the deep cleansing with Real Techniques there may still be some makeup residue. Then I go over it with the IT Brush Cleaner and it takes the rest of it away.

Honored Contributor

This is what I do to dry my brushes. These are ponytail hair ties around a towel rod:

4673d0c7ffc322160d4707d02056db3d--towel-racks-drying-racks.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I lay my washed makeup brushes flat on a paper towel to air dry. I was at Winners today and they had one of those brush drying gizmos by Danielle for $7.99 CDN so I bought it and put it together. I'll give that a try the next time I wash my makeup brushes as the brushes will hang upside down so that water doesn't get into the ferrules and loosen the glue that holds the bristles together.

Honored Contributor

I squeeze a little shampoo into some water in the sink.  Swish the brushes in the sudsy water, rinse under running water and lay them on a towel to dry.

Respected Contributor

The best way I have found is to use warm water in a juice glass or cup, shampoo, and a microfiber towel or washcloth.  Works like a charm!  Much better than any of the sprays for brush cleaners

Respected Contributor

I learned this tip many years ago and it works easily and well.

Using rubbing alcohol, pour a little in a shallow bowl (I use my cereal bowl) and tap, tap tap the brush head (don't get the rest of the brush wet), and you will see the color come out of the brush. Pour more alcohol in another bowl and Tap until the liquid is clear, and stand the brush up until dry, and fluff it up.

I have very old brushes that still look new.