Honored Contributor

Re: Eyebrow Tinting - Made an appointment - Now I'm scared to go and do it!

[ Edited ]

I started doing it back in 1988 or so when I started lightening my hair to blond due to the gray coming in.  After going constantly to the hairdresser for this she asked me if I wanted to try it at home on my own.  Sent me home with my supplies she had left so I would know what to buy at the supply store.  I did it at home easy peasy up until about five years ago.  Never had a problem or any sensitivity.  Plus saved myself money and time staying home.  Only stopped because I just got so tired of doing it.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I made an appointment to get my eyebrows tinted and now I am scared and don't know if I should do it!

I have such sensitve skin I am afraid I will get a reaction from the dye!

Anyone who has had this done in a salon ever get a reaction from the dye???

I have really pale, patchy eyebrows and you can hardly see them.  I have tried many times to use products--- pencils, powders, etc. but I can't get it right at all!

Not to mention there is no shape to them!  I recently got them waxed but I see not much difference to them!

I have read here that a lot of women tint their own using various products but I'm afraid these products will be too strong and also that I will make a mess of my eyebrows!

Anyone have any input???   Thanks! 

I've wanted to get my eyebrows and eyelashes tinted for years.  I've always had barely there brows and lashes and it just gets worse as I get older.  I just may pull the trigger this year.  I have the same worries.  That and also they will just turn out horrible (and worse than what I started with). Keep us posted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

When I am faced with a situation like this or the dentist, oral surgeon, orthodontist, endodontist, blood/iron infusions, I take a dramamine before I get there but some people need a driver with Dramamine, I don't. 

That calms me down and when I am calm, I am less likely to have a reaction.  Sometimes we can mistake a panic attack for an allergic reaction.  If you fear allergic reaction, take a Benadryl but have someone drive you (I take Benadryl almost daily for allergic life so I don't get drowsy with a 25-50 mg of Benadryl).

Frequent Contributor

I color my own hair and will do my eyebrows using my hair color.  I will put a bit of petroleum jelly on the skin around my eyebrows to keep it from staining and usually do the eyebrows last and leave on for 15 minutes instead of 20 - 25 minutes as I do on my hair.

I highly recommend Revlon's Root Erase touch up.  It comes in a canister that dispenses the colorant and developer with a push of the button. They are housed separately within the canister and is a multiple use product.  It is extremely easy to use and is not at all wasteful or messy. 

Take a peak on line for a better explanation than I am able to give!  This works great for touching up your roots and I use it on my brows too.

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

@Shanus , I also have issues with color staying on my brows. With the Just for Men, does that stay good for awhile once it's opened or is it one use only and toss out the remainder?

@catter70   It comes in separate tiny tubes...color and deveolper. I close the tubes after squirting the said amount in the included tray and there's enough for about 6 times. It stays fine.

Esteemed Contributor

I too was suffering from "patchy" eyebrows that required a lot of attention before feeling my best self. I bit the bullet and had my brows microbladed. It is so freeing to have great arched nicely shaped brows without having to draw them on.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've been hearing about micro blading for years. When I went to the mall,before, Covid I used to see micro blading booths set up. Sorry to sound so uninformed but can someone explain micro blading to me?What exactly is it? Does it hurt? What does it cost? How long does it last? Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 - Good advice here, but I didn't have a great experience.

I tried it about 5 years ago. My natural hair color was dark blonde, but my eyebrows have always been a little darker. Now it is a lighter honey blonde. Taupe eyebrow color looks bad on me; I need a warmer tint.  One of the stylists at the salon I go to recommended the place she goes to, so I made an appointment. It was not easy to get an appointment with the brow technician she likes, as a lot of people request her. But I did get one.

First she said she had to "clean up" my brows. They were OK. I have a scar on one from when I fell as a child and the brow never grew beyond that place. I never had to tweeze them and they were full enough.

After she finished "cleaning them up" with wax (my first time for this),  I had two very thin lines. I almost cried. Of course now that I'm older they will never be the same. They have filled out a little, but not to where they were.

I told her I wanted a light color. They were almost black. And I had a weekend conference coming up! Thank goodness I have bangs. At least I didn't have to worry about using color on them for a while. 

They did eventually lighten up. I figured she was the expert, so she knew what she was doing. She had asked to take a picture before I left. 

About 3 months later I made another appointment. I went in knowing I was not going to let her "clean them up." When I got there she was finishing up with another client. She passed me off to a young man who kept asking her what to do. 

I never went back. My hairstylist colors them when I get my hair colored every 10 - 12 weeks. In between I use brow color. I'm always trying new ones!  

If I ever go anywhere else I will certainly be sure they know what I expect!  

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the tip @Shanus .

I had my eyebrows tinted at the beginning of the year and it lasted all of about 2 weeks.  I was not spending $20 every 2 weeks to have it done so I haven't done anything.  I will try Just for Men