Occasional Contributor

Dry skin woes - any suggestions??

I had a date night with my husband tonight and instead of using my lighter CC cream I used my favorite foundation/concealer/highlighter etc (you know, the works) byt he time I got home I had little flakes and little lines and patchy spots (it was not a late night!) Smiley Sad
I have a nice set of brushes, use a sponge sometimes. 

Whats the deal?! Is it just not my HG foundation anymore? Is it because I'm 40? Can I blame the weather change here in Michigan?!! UGH! 

I see Youtube videos and all are so smooth and fresh and I'm even struggling with bolder/darker lipsticks. My skin is not behaving "normal" 

I have a special occasion coming up in a few weeks...please share your "go-to" for skin care and what foundation you are loving. I have decent skin, very little discoloration (some, not an alarming amount) and no major wrinkles just some crinkling/smile lines at my eye corners. But very dry...I'll up my water and omega's ...anything else is so appreciated!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Dry skin woes - any suggestions??

[ Edited ]

@RhondaJo  I'm in my late twenties and have oily skin. The last couple of weeks my skin had been getting easily irritated and looked and felt dry. I was up late one night (like tonight) and I caught a Josie Maran presentation. I remembered that I had tried argan oil a few years ago and my skin at the time was very glowy. I'm not sure why I stopped using it most likely due to cost and I had probably moved on to something else.

I ordered one of her kits that has both the argan milk and the oil and my skin looks so dewey and nice now. I use the milk in the am and the oil in the pm. Now my skin looks and feels hydrated and I have my glow back.

Granted, I have oily skin but for those that don't, it's a little known fact that oily skin tends to get a dry top layer while still being oily underneath from time to time. I think it's the weather change or may as well be because I'm moving closer to being 30 that it's happening with more severity. I would give that a try since the products are all natural and not very expensive when purchased in a kit. 

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

Maybe a hydrating primer would help?  I don't use primers, so another poster would have to recommend one, or several.  It is so true that changing weather could be a factor & our skin can change as we mature.

Trusted Contributor

The only product that keeps my dry skin hydrated and moisturized is Ahava extreme night beauty serum. I use philosophy ultimate miracle worker over it for its added benefits. 

Occasional Contributor

I have a deluxe sample of Argan oil I haven't tried yet...cant' hurt to work that into my nightime routine! 

Maybe a trip to Sephora/Ulta for some primer samples...thanks!

Want to start simple, not overhaul everything. Good suggestions, thanks so much!

Honored Contributor

@RhondaJo

I have no idea if this is the problem, but I will throw it out there -- maybe a nice gentle exfoliation would help.  Sometimes with the changing of the season, skin gets picky and reactive and needs a little push to get rid of the dead cells to reveal the smoother skin underneath and allow products to penetrate.  Then, perhaps after that a good night cream to allow this to soak in and rejuvenite your skin.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RhondaJo  Lots of things can affect changes in our skin; aging, weather, products we use, etc.  Before looking to your foundation and makeup as being the problem, I'd think about your skincare routine.  You haven't mentioned what your cleansing and treatment routine is or what your price range is so it's hard to know exactly what to recommend.  I agree that you should be exfoliating regularly to help get rid of that flaky top layer of skin and help with cell turnover.  Whatever you do, don't get one of those harsh, inexpensive apricot scrubs from the big box store.  Those ground up apricot shells are very harsh and make micro tears in your skin.  You want something very fine and gentle.  If you can't find one, you can start by using some superfine granulated sugar mixed with your AM cleanser.  Using an Alpha Hydroxy Acid product at night (check out products by the Alpha Hydrox company for assorted strengths) will also help with cell turnover.  If your skin is sensitive at all, be sure to ease into using an AHA.  It will feel a little prickly on your face until your skin adjusts to it.  Masking a couple of times a week will help with refining your skin.  Be careful with the Argan Oil.  Some people actually experience more dryness with it.  If you're happy with your moisturizer, maybe only add a few drops of Argan Oil to it, to see if you like it.  Otherwise, look into a more appropriate facial oil.  Mad Hippie makes one that's pretty nice and not too expensive.  

Respected Contributor

If you want to kickstart repairs, get a microdermabrasion facial at a dermatologist office --- they would have an aesthetician do the procedure which can run $99 and takes an hour approx.  They should apply a sunblock at the end of the procedure.  Your skin will look fabulous and you can apply makeup immediately.  

Then follow up with the steps recommended by poster JeanLouiseFinch.

Good Luck!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @JeanLouiseFinch, Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.  You certainly always have a lot of useful advice that is always appreciated.  It is very kind of you.

Esteemed Contributor

I swear by Dr.Denese skincare products. I have very fair, sensitive skin with issues and allergies. I'm in the 50 and holding forever range. I use the hydroshield serum, dream cream (day or night) and the wrinkle due for face and neck. I also use the eye fixer upper.I can see a big difference in the quality of my skin and wear less makeup now than I did twenty years ago. I've mixed a little of the dream cream in with my sun screen or foundation stick on days when I need an extra boost. It really works well. Hope you have the same good luck that I did.