Respected Contributor

Re: Dry skin woes - any suggestions??

Before you make too many changes, & there is a lot of good advice here,you may want to look at your cleanser. I have oily skin & at times I notice how old I am looking. My skin looks dry & so bad around my eyes. I switch my cleanser & my skin looks so much better. I use JM Argan Oil to remove my makeup & First Aid Beauty Cleanser.

Valued Contributor

I agree with much of the advice given. My skin got really dry after using a retinol product & I had to find a very gentle cleanser. The best one I found was Paul as Choice Recovery Cleanser. The PC Recovery line is excellent for dryness, but not necessarily anti-aging. It saved my skin when it was burned/dried by retinol.

IF you need effective moisture creams then SKINN 24-Hour Youth Preservation Creams & Balm (pink& yellow) cannot be beat. I use SKINN for anti-aging & dryness. HTH!
Valued Contributor

I cannot figure out how to edit my post but it was supposed to say Paula'sChoice Recovery Cream not Paul.
Honored Contributor

@Chisos wrote:
I cannot figure out how to edit my post but it was supposed to say Paula'sChoice Recovery Cream not Paul.

@Chisos  To edit your post, click on the three dots in the upper right corner of your text box.  There's a dropdown menu where you can select "edit".  Give it a second to load and then you can fix your comment.

Valued Contributor

THANKS! I am still learning how to use this new forum & I still don't like it.
Respected Contributor

Here are my suggestions: cut exfoliation (chemical) to once per day or every other day. Add oil in (I prefer jojoba, rose hip seed, maracuja, or combo oils), increase water intake, USE A HUMIDIFIER, use a very emollient cream or balm on top of evening skincare, and use a hydrating sheet mask a couple of times a week, if you have them. Cut WAY back (or don't do) physical exfoliation, bc the scrubbing can tear up your skin and cause it to be damaged or irritated. HTH!

Respected Contributor

@FUTURE wrote:

Here are my suggestions: cut exfoliation (chemical) to once per day or every other day. Add oil in (I prefer jojoba, rose hip seed, maracuja, or combo oils), increase water intake, USE A HUMIDIFIER, use a very emollient cream or balm on top of evening skincare, and use a hydrating sheet mask a couple of times a week, if you have them. Cut WAY back (or don't do) physical exfoliation, bc the scrubbing can tear up your skin and cause it to be damaged or irritated. HTH!

Exfoliate once a day? I don't think so. Once a week at most!

Respected Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

@FUTURE wrote:

Exfoliate once a day? I don't think so. Once a week at most!

Yes, once a day. I said chemical exfoliation. Many people use BHA's or AHA's -2 times per day, with no adverse effects. I'm not talking about physical exfoliation or a TCA peel. 

Honored Contributor

@quadmimi

@quadmimi wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Another dry skin sufferer....

I wash w/Dove soap & use Eucerin the original version every night...

648_pd211849_1.jpg

Have used the above regime now for 17 yrs.  Skin is as soft & moist as a baby's butt!

For the record the Eucerin jar lasts for about a year!  A little goes a long way.

It soaks right into the skin.  Therefore, does not get on your clothes.

I was wondering do you use this on your face or just body?  I have super dry skin everywhere and even pricy face creams aren't helping much...

My whole body.  I am 64 yrs young w/no wrinkles *yet.* 

A cheaper route for dry skin is Vaseline.  Best used right before bedtime after a bath or shower when your skin is moist.  Use on your body before it completely dries.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Occasional Contributor

sorry it took me a bit to get back to this thread...so many good suggestions! I did pickup a non soap cleanser not long ago but it's been sitting under the sink (the name escapes me)
For moisturizer I use Ciniques DDM for dry skin. I feel like it works well for me. I never thought of a humidifier either! Patting a few drops of argan oil over it at night seems to be a good addition, will see Smiley Happy
I used to like the Philosophy microdelivery peel pads but can't find them anymore. Just yesterday I found a jar of ****** + Fab Glycolic fix and used one. No reaction yet. That's all I'm messing with for now to see what happens.

Thank you for taking the time to share so much info, much appreciated!!