Honored Contributor

ComPact 2020 -- Moderate March

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.”  "Only the store, online no more!" “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Moderate March

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation.

This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

HEP Cat

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

And a new feature:

Your moment in the fun...

FUN

Yesterday I turned on some music and we made lamb curry.  When I wasn't stirring I was dancing.

It was fun.

Post your moments in the fun!

Honored Contributor

@just bee 

Right on schedule, bright and early.

I'm glad you repost your original post every month.  As the monthly thread grows, I skip by the past posts to get to what I haven't read yet.  But at the beginning of the month it's reaffirming to reread the original intent.  And we each can bring our own meaning to it and apply it to our own individual lives, wants, and needs.  A good reminder to stop and give thought and assess where we've been, where we are, and where we want to be.

As usual, thanks, 🐝!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Right on schedule, bright and early.

I'm glad you repost your original post every month.  As the monthly thread grows, I skip by the past posts to get to what I haven't read yet.  But at the beginning of the month it's reaffirming to reread the original intent.  And we each can bring our own meaning to it and apply it to our own individual lives, wants, and needs.  A good reminder to stop and give thought and assess where we've been, where we are, and where we want to be.

As usual, thanks, 🐝!

@geezerette 

Would have been earlier, but we lost Internet access this morning.

Funny you should mention the original post.  I actually took time to read it this morning and it was interesting seeing it in the new context of having "pared down."  There is still more work to do.

And you're right.  This is a good time for all of us to:

Stop

Give thought

Assess where we've been

Assess where we are

Assess where we want to be

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

As usual, you have me thinking again.

I was imagining all the years of ComPacting, all the stuff, all the setbacks.  And then I saw it.

Sisyphus

Sisyphus pushing that boulder up a hill only to have it roll back down again.

But then I saw this:

US!

Is that not the best image of a ComPacter?  By George, that's us!

The burden of our stuff, the weight of it, the uphill battle.  We could let go of that rope, but we're hanging on for dear life.  Still climbing.

Why?  Why are we doing this?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've used up my Josie Maran argan oil products and won't be replacing them. Moving forward, I'll stick with Clinique. Just think how much time I'll save if I'm not watching all those different presentations of miracle creams/oils on QVC. Plus they are readily available so no S&H. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find myself spread too thinly this time of year and promise myself to cut back...hasn't happened yet, but still trying. Hubby still working at 75 ( tax accountant), long hours and I help out in office, when needed,  making appts. and  delivering returns to clients in assisted living situations who can't make it to the office. Jewelry appts. are more frequent and orders to be finished w/ Mother's Day, brides, graduation, etc. Makeup Calls are also more demanding w/ weddings, proms, etc. 

This needs to be the year I slow it down a bit and have more time for me, make it to most of my gym classes, walk Molly and smell the roses, when they begin to bloom. 

I missed the granddaughters' swim meet yesterday and it broke my heart and theirs. They grow up so fast. I now have their scheduled school and outside activities for March and they're marked out on OUR calendars. Other obligations can wait on those days. Being there for children and grandchildren is not an option. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I've used up my Josie Maran argan oil products and won't be replacing them. Moving forward, I'll stick with Clinique. Just think how much time I'll save if I'm not watching all those different presentations of miracle creams/oils on QVC. Plus they are readily available so no S&H. 

@AuntG 

One of the benefits is buying locally and supporting your neighborhood merchants.

Living with two addresses and two mailboxes these past few months has made me want to reduce the amount of mail and packages I receive.

But it's not easy.  Right now we're buying items for the house and most of them are not available here.  We even buying our appliances online.

I want to be able to drive somewhere, look at the product, hold it in my hand, read the label, and pay for it at a human-operated cash register.  Those days are slipping away.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG   I agree. Watching too much TV in general seems like I'm wasting time that I could be more productive or just taking time to relax and read a book from the stack piling up.