Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Moderate March

@Shanus wrote:

I find myself spread too thinly this time of year and promise myself to cut back...hasn't happened yet, but still trying. Hubby still working at 75 ( tax accountant), long hours and I help out in office, when needed,  making appts. and  delivering returns to clients in assisted living situations who can't make it to the office. Jewelry appts. are more frequent and orders to be finished w/ Mother's Day, brides, graduation, etc. Makeup Calls are also more demanding w/ weddings, proms, etc. 

This needs to be the year I slow it down a bit and have more time for me, make it to most of my gym classes, walk Molly and smell the roses, when they begin to bloom. 

I missed the granddaughters' swim meet yesterday and it broke my heart and theirs. They grow up so fast. I now have their scheduled school and outside activities for March and they're marked out on OUR calendars. Other obligations can wait on those days. Being there for children and grandchildren is not an option. 

@Shanus 

We've made life a marathon when what we really need is a stroll.  We need to cultivate leisure time.  It's the best way to manage our stress. 

Sometimes the only escape is taking the dog to the bosque.  Now's the best time because the seasons are changing and we can see it happening.

Yesterday seagulls were flying over us.  Keep in mind that we live in Albuquerque.

We have to slow down so we can notice this stuff.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

I've used up my Josie Maran argan oil products and won't be replacing them. Moving forward, I'll stick with Clinique. Just think how much time I'll save if I'm not watching all those different presentations of miracle creams/oils on QVC. Plus they are readily available so no S&H. 

@AuntG   I agree. Watching too much TV in general seems like I'm wasting time that I could be more productive or just taking time to relax and read a book from the stack piling up. 

@Shanus 

I'm finally getting to the point where I'm going to have to come to terms with television and my cable company.

When we get settled into the house and replace the stereo equipment, I want to spend more time listening to music and less time watching TV.  Comcast has eliminated many of the channels I like and has replaced them with many I don't.  Why am I handing them cash every month?

Almost everything on TV lately is FUD: Fear, uncertainty and doubt.  It's wearing thin.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

I need to keep close to this thread for when I stray I want to buy stuff I don't need. 

I was using many of Josie's products too, but when I finished them I stopped. I do have a 6-ounce argon oil I bought from her on the Q that I use several times a day. It really helps my skin.

During the holiday sales on the Q, I bought a Dr. Denese kit in the mega sizes. It is really nice and my skin is reacting well it will take me to the next holiday season 2020!

I also vow now to buy makeup that doesn't go with my soft summer coloring. I bought IT's IT Girl pallet from Ulta this year and none of the colors goes with my cool/neutral coloring. I am giving it to my sister who is warm-toned. I must stop this wasteful spending. Last year I wasted over $100 on makeup I got rid of. That's disgusting and won't be there when I need it. 

As for clothes, I am currently not in the workforce right now. I need to make sure that I only buy clothes for the life I have now. A biggie.

I spent about $300 in the last three years on clothes from Denim & Co that did not work out for me. I had to donate them. Most of the line just does not fit me a well as I would like and the styles and materials are not to my taste. I do better with Isaac. I have never had to donate his clothes yet. The styles and materials suit me better. I also want to go back to Talbots if I need anything. 

I have tons of clothes from LL Bean, and I love them, but I have to be careful there too because some of the things are very casual. Also, Beans' sizing is not always consistent. I love them though and Bean's stuff is classic and made well. I need to be more careful about what I order.

Mindful and Moderate March is what I need to focus on.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday I heard that a band I like is on tour.  I've learned not to get too excited because most of these tours do not include Albuquerque.

As it turns out, The Pretenders will be here in June.  BH says, "Have fun."  This means he has no intention of attending.

We've pretty much sworn off concerts because they just aren't fun anymore.  And they're expensive.

But I would be tempted by The Pretenders.

One thing keeps me from ordering tickets.  They're touring with Journey. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@just bee .......or re-runs, at least until the fall.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

I need to keep close to this thread for when I stray I want to buy stuff I don't need. 

I must stop this wasteful spending. Last year I wasted over $100 on makeup I got rid of. That's disgusting and won't be there when I need it. 

As for clothes, I am currently not in the workforce right now. I need to make sure that I only buy clothes for the life I have now. A biggie.

I need to be more careful about what I order.

Mindful and Moderate March is what I need to focus on.

@Squirrel Lover 

Moderation, a balance between less and more, unmeasurable and personal in its definition, is at the heart of minimalism.

-- Anonymous

You are the champion of moderation.  Moderate March should be right up your alley, Squirrel!

I find it's helpful, when I'm tempted to buy something on sale that I do not need, to come here and talk myself out of it.

It sounds like you know what cosmetic colors you can wear and what clothes best fit your lifestyle.  Stick to what you know and what you like. Heart

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover   I've learned which brands of clothing fit and what sizes to save time, especially if ordering. Love LL Bean, but know it runs very big on me. I only buy tops online and pants in stores where I can try on...have returned too many because many sites "farm out" the manufacturing and sizing is inconsistent.

When Talbots, Banana Republic or J Crew have a good sale, I'm on it. That's the dressiest I'd ever get and the casual clothing are good guality and fit. I also check inside tags for washing info. If it can't go in the wash, no sale. I can purchase less and wash a little more often while saving money. Dry cleaning, hand washing, etc. is not an option. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Squirrel Lover   I've learned which brands of clothing fit and what sizes to save time, especially if ordering. Love LL Bean, but know it runs very big on me. I only buy tops online and pants in stores where I can try on...have returned too many because many sites "farm out" the manufacturing and sizing is inconsistent.

When Talbots, Banana Republic or J Crew have a good sale, I'm on it. That's the dressiest I'd ever get and the casual clothing are good guality and fit. I also check inside tags for washing info. If it can't go in the wash, no sale. I can purchase less and wash a little more often while saving money. Dry cleaning, hand washing, etc. is not an option. 

@Shanus 

I agree!  No dry cleaning or hand washing for me, either.  We also lost our iron and ironing board in the fire so this is the first time I've lived without ironing.

And I like it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee   My biggest hint I can pass along (I started this in Jan.) No shopping for fun, just to pass the time. I'll certainly find SOMETHING my closet doesn't need. I only go to the mall or discount stores if I have a list for gifts or items I actually need for myself...I keep a sheet of paper & pencil on string taped on wall of closet to jot down items as worn items are placed in toss bag and need to be replaced or occasion arises and realize I'm lacking a type of top or slacks or jacket. I've added a forth bag to closet floor other than donate, sell, toss...it's a "to be altered" bag. I've been able to shorten jackets, have sweater sleeves shortened at the shoulder seams, etc. and saved favorite garments. LL Bean had a good full site sale in the last 6 months & I purchased 4 of their famous "LL Bean Bags" w/ different color trims. They replaced the lg. round baskets that took up too much room on the closet floor. 

Valued Contributor

I call February a success!

Though I added 2 items to my stockpile, I removed 6. I also decluttered 20 items (clothes, shoes, books, etc).

However, I'm feeling a strong urge to go to Costco and stock up on some items I like, but don't really need at this time (today's the last day of this sale). So, I came here instead. Woman Happy

All things in moderation!