Respected Contributor

Re: Beauty products our mothers used

My mother mostly  wore only lipstick, by Revlon, Cherries in the Snow.  She had the red boxed cake mascara and a small eyeshadow in a dusty evergreen shade. These were kept in her top dresser drawer.  i guess she wore the eye makeup when my Dad and her went to the race track.

On her dresser were Arpege, Youth Dew and a jar of Topaz perfumed cream.  Ponds and Oil of Olay. The Olay came in a square bottle and she got it from the Hardware Store owner's wife who said it was very hard to find so it wasnt always available . A ploy i'm sure. Mom stocked up on 6 bottles at a time (still uses Olay at 90). She shampooed once weekly on Saturdays and set her hair on brush rollers with Dippity Do.  There was a big poofy cap hair dryer. Sometimes we disconnected the cap and used it as a "blow dryer"

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMomPond's was the closest thing to a beauty product my mother had.   And even that she didn't use all that much.  The whole 7 of us washed ourselves with cakes of Ivory soap.

Honored Contributor

I remember big jars of Germaine Monteil cold cream. I loved those big jars.

Germaine Monteil Bio-miracle Cream Ad Nice Art (1966) (With images ...

Trusted Contributor

@redbird   My mother used many of the aforementioned beauty items. She still uses Vitapointe hair cream, found on Amazon.

Esteemed Contributor

Dipity Doo and Aqua Net. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother was born in 1903 so she used many products available that she grew up with in her family with 6 girls.  As a child I remember my mother used Noxzema, Ivory bar soap, rose water, glycerin, her perfume was Guerlain's Shalimar. After she died I found a bottle of Shalimar on her dresser.  Also remember in the late 40's/early 50's she wore full leg gabardine pants...they were so gorgeous on her...only pants she ever had or wore.  Mostly housedress or a suit for church!

Trusted Contributor

Oil of Olay face cream

Jean Nate powder and after bath splash 

Estée Lauder bath oil

Trusted Contributor

Revlon Touch and Glow foundation

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I don't recall anything my mother used, but my nanny always had Ponds cold cream on her vanity, she used it religiously. She was a vain woman, she would sit outside with a reflector to get sun ( this is when people didn't know better). She was a working woman when my dad was very young, at a time when women didn't work outside of the home, I think this is why she cared about her appearance so much.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I can remember only a couple things.  That Maybelline mascara that came in a red box where you rubbed a brush across a cake of product.  The Coty powder that has those orange flowers on the box.  I used to see that in Walmart a few years ago.  She had beautiful skin.  She was born in 1924.  I never dared play with these things, I waited until I babysat for the neighbors and always used her Revlon foundation.  No one ever seemed to notice.  Its not like she marked the bottle.  I also used her coral lipstick and wondered why it didn't look good on me.  I'm very pink and no corals look good on me.  

@depglass 

My mother used that same powder her whole adult life too!  My mother also had flawless skin.  It was still at Walmart the last time I was in the makeup aisle.

My mother never wore mascara, but my sisters and I all used that red Maybelline box with the tiny little brush!😁