Regular Contributor

Beauty products our mothers used

[ Edited ]

We all have so many beauty products we love and use today. I wonder if any of you remember the products your mother used back in the day. My mother would have been 100 years old this month. Her beauty routine was very simple...Sweetheart bar soap for daily use and an Avon red lipstick for going out. For very special occasions she had a little blus bottle of Evening in Paris perfume. She also had a container of cream rouge she would apply very sparingly sometimes. My great aunt used Noxema skin cream and had the most beautiful complexion. Anyone else remember beauty routines of the past?  edited to add angel face pressed powder for her nose.

Honored Contributor

Re: Beauty products our mothers used

Oh my, Evening in Paris. I loved that cute bottle. It sat on her vanity when I was very young.

Honored Contributor

Bonne Belle Ten o Six

Noxzema

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Ponds cold cream!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Jean Nate After Bath Splash!!!

Trusted Contributor

Oil of Olay Beauty Lotion....pink lotion in square bottle with black label.
Revlon lipsticks

My Mom would have been 107 this past April. Still miss her. 

Respected Contributor

All of these! The oil of Olay, noxema, ponds cold cream. My sister who is 50 still uses the cold cream. Also, good old aqua net hairspray. 

Valued Contributor

Ponds Cold Cream - Noxema - Jean Nate - Oil of Olay -  all with their own recognizable smell - 

I still use Ponds and Oil of Olay - 

For years, as a child, I bjought my mother Evening in Paris, because I loved the color and shape of the bottle, thinking she liked it - found the filled bottles years later - she didn't like perfume at all but didn't want to hurt my feelings.

Honored Contributor

I can remember only a couple things.  That Maybelline mascara that came in a red box where you rubbed a brush across a cake of product.  The Coty powder that has those orange flowers on the box.  I used to see that in Walmart a few years ago.  She had beautiful skin.  She was born in 1924.  I never dared play with these things, I waited until I babysat for the neighbors and always used her Revlon foundation.  No one ever seemed to notice.  Its not like she marked the bottle.  I also used her coral lipstick and wondered why it didn't look good on me.  I'm very pink and no corals look good on me.  

Trusted Contributor

My great-grandmother on my dad's side wore Evening in Paris.  Her daughter, my grandmother, was the Avon hoarder.  Her signature fragrance was Topaze, but we got gifts of Avon products and her castoffs  Mostly fragrance forms, rather than makeup.

My other grandma always used Dove soap.  I don't believe any of the women in my family wore much makeup except for lipstick. I was the one who broke standard there.  Before that, heavy makeup use was associated with disreputable women.