Respected Contributor

Re: Beauty products our mothers used

Oh what memories.  She had the mascara in a box that was mentioned earlier.  But she also used a foundation stick that came in a white square cylandar.  You would turn the bottom for it to come up.....almost like a lipstick but fatter and square.  I don't know what the brand was, but she used that all the time.

She also had white shoulders perfurme.

And when she curled her hair she had the rollers that hurt and had the hairdryer with the cap.

Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Bonne Belle Ten o Six

Noxzema

These two products were heavily advertised in the mid-1960s, and of course, I tried them both, totally convinced they would make me look like the models in the ads.

There was a Bonne Belle kit offered by mail with a small bottle of Ten O Six, a lip gloss, and maybe something else, shipped in a cylinder shaped box.  I loved getting stuff in the mail and thought this was so cool.  I was probably about 11 and it was my introduction to the Bonne Belle brand. 

Super Contributor

We must have had the same mother!  Those were staples at my house, too.  I used noxcema for sunburn treatment way too many times!  I dont t think it repaired the sunburn, but it had a very cool, comforting feeling as it was rubbed on.  ( the ultimate sunburn repair is all the skin cancer removals that I’ve had over the years😏)

None of those products are in my medicine closet today, but I do think of buying noxcema once in awhile.     Aaah....sweet memories!

Honored Contributor

The scent of oil of Olay reminds me of my mother...    She put that on every day and night!  Love that scent!  Also, my Mother wore the original perfume Jungle Gardenia.... That will always be the fragrance I am searching for now that it is no longer made.  I have not found anything quite like the original Jungle Gardenia. 

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The scent of oil of Olay reminds me of my mother...    She put that on every day and night!  Love that scent!  Also, my Mother wore the original perfume Jungle Gardenia.... That will always be the fragrance I am searching for now that it is no longer made.  I have not found anything quite like the original Jungle Gardenia. 

Wasn't Jungle Gardenia Joan Crawford's signature fragrance?  Think I just read that the other day!

Honored Contributor

I still have a tube of my mom's Coty lipstick. Just can't get rid of it. I can still see her putting on this lovely coral/red color. So pretty on her! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Oh my.  Pancake makeup -- I can still remember its distinctive scent.  She wore it even though she was so pretty she didn't need it.  To me, she's even prettier now at 94, though she's quarantined with pneumonia in her retirement facility and especially sad on this, the first anniversary of my Dad's death.  Sorry for veering off-topic, @redbird , but your pleasant post spurred a boatload of bittersweet memories...

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I still have a tube of my mom's Coty lipstick. Just can't get rid of it. I can still see her putting on this lovely coral/red color. So pretty on her! Heart

@ID2  Heart

Respected Contributor

I don't remember my mom wearing much makeup, though, as otheres she was the lucky recipient of Evening in Paris. I'm not sure she ever wore it.  She would have been 94 on Easter Day this year. Miss ya , Mom.

Honored Contributor

Chantilly perfume

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.