Trusted Contributor

Re: Any Tips for Hair Coloring My Roots?

OMG, I got a phone call today and my salon is closed for an indefinite period of time.  I will gladly watch those Youtube videos!!

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Valued Contributor

I've never done roots myself but yikes my greys with my dark chocolate hair color in the last week are awful. I would have to spray a can of touch up daily!  My stylist will fix it when the time comes I'm sure.  I ordered dp hue root touch up from their web site. A girlfriend recommended to me. We will see!

Super Contributor

My hairdresser said to use an eyeshadow color that matches your roots and brush it on as a temporary fix.  I don't know if some blondes can find a color to match their roots, but this is a cheaper and effective way to cover up while waiting for an appt. and it works.   

Honored Contributor

On the GMADeals dot com website right now, there are several TRUHAIR coloring products. Powders and mousse. RUN!  These will probably sell out fast because of the salon and store situations.

Contributor

I have a hair appointment next week... will see if my hair stylist will be working.

But, just in case, I went out tonight and bought "no gray quick fix" for my gray roots.

Otherwise, I won't worry about my hair.  

Valued Contributor

With a base color and heavily highlighted long hair, no way would I even attempt to try to do something myself.

I use Color WOW in platinum.  Just brush some around my hairline here and there and it holds me over very well.  Might work somewhat for a solid blonde color.

I also use Joan Rivers Good Hair Day in light blonde.  It's not really light and has gold tones which I don't like, but it works well on the side of my face.  The Color WOW goes on top.

I would not try anything permanent.  

Most of us aren't going anywhere anyway for who knows how long.  I say we make grey roots the new "in" look.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My salon just closed, but they sent out an E-mail that they would do curb delivery of products, root touch-up spray,  and even root touch-up kits in your formulation.  Since I color my own, they don't have my formulation, but I currently have plenty.  They would probably laugh if I gave them my formulation, but it works for me.  I'm currently holding off on doing my roots.  I can get by with either the spray and/or the Tru hair product.

Super Contributor

Such a timely topic for me!

I have medium brown hair with several random grey hairs sprouting 

around my forehead.

CVS Carepass sent me a 40% Off coupon for any L’Oreal temporary 

touch up products.......

......so I picked up a can of Root Rescue (the TV commercial where the actress  sweeps all the blue cans into her basket).

There weren’t many color choices.....Medium brown is my preference, but there was only Dark or Light brown.

I went with the Light, since I’ve heard older women should “go lighter” as they age! lol

Im very nervous to actually use it.....will I get it all over my head? Face?

Does it rub off if you sweat a lot while jogging?

The worst that can happen is——-I end up washing it out.

(I understand this is a “first world problem” in these times. Very trivial of course. Just a distraction).

Honored Contributor

Simply  buy a bottle of purple shampoo.   I use Pravana, but Redken and everyone else makes one, too.

I've been blending my silver roots with white-ish blonde highlights and darker low lights since last Aug.

The purpose of the purple shampoo was to keep the golden (or brassiness) away.  But it blends everything together nicely and my hair is past shoulder length.

I just put 8 or 9 HUGE rollers in my hair and I can't tell the difference of where the new growth is compared to the past highlights.  I was only needing to get them done every 3 months since this transition.

Just give it a try.  

Honored Contributor

My root touch up (Clairol) contains a little brush to easily put on the color. I find it blends nicely so I don't think you have to worry about it looking glaringly dufferent. Just pick a color close to your current color, whether it be dark blonde or medium brown.....