Honored Contributor

Any Tips for Hair Coloring My Roots?

I have lovely naturally blonde hair.  With lovely gray roots.  You get my drift? Woman Wink

SO, experts here, how can I keep the roots blonde until I can get to the salon?  I have never tried to color my own hair.

Don't talk to me about going gray either.  Not for me. 

TIA!

Super Contributor

Re: Any Tips for Hair Coloring My Roots?

[ Edited ]

You can't! It will never match the color you have from your colorist. Just won't.

Esteemed Contributor

You might want to call Clairol helpline and ask what products to use in your situation.  Back when I was coloring (towards the end of that time period I was covering my roots biweekly) I was mixing my solution, pouring it into a bowl and using a paint brush to paint it on roots.  After I finished the roots I mixed in about 1/4 cup shampoo into the solution and coated my remaining " natural" hair.

Respected Contributor

Do you have a Sally Beauty Supply near you?  They could recommend the right products for you to use.  I've been coloring my own hair for years, refuse to pay the price at the hair salon.  It's very easy to do, especially for a blond.  Give it a try.  I use clairol nice and easy.

Respected Contributor

If you've never done your own color, don't even try it.  Coloring roots only much trickier than all over color.  To do roots correctly you part the. root area in small sections with a rat comb or color bottle tip and paint on the color. But there will be overlap of the new root color onto the blonde. If you don' get it right you get "banding'. That mean obvious shade difference. Then you time the color solution. With gray roots you need the proper shade level - blondes 8-10, Ash or gold. And the color needs an "N" Neutral for gray coverage.   Timing varies depending on how quickly your hair "lifts" or takes developer. Plus you have to color the back of the crown. lots of factors.

i would avoid box colors . you don't  know what you get and the blonde shades tend to run brassy

Respected Contributor

@Travone wrote:

Do you have a Sally Beauty Supply near you?  They could recommend the right products for you to use.  I've been coloring my own hair for years, refuse to pay the price at the hair salon.  It's very easy to do, especially for a blond.  Give it a try.  I use clairol nice and easy.

i pick up my color at Sally but i have been coloring a long time. i use ION demis and do some bayalage hilites w powdered bleach and developer.

sometimes the SA aren't always the best at advice. The first time i tried coloring on my own (eons ago)  i used two shades of light brown from Wella and the 20v developer they recommended. the color came out 2-tone because i had a perm growing out and the color grabbed the permed hair and ended up with Level2 very dark brown while the crown and down to my ear level was level 5 warm brown.  i had to get it cut off.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner  I started coloring my hair a few years ago.  I started at a salon.  I sometimes color my whole head myself.  More often, I just do my roots until I can get back to my guy.  I use root touch up.  It does not match exactly to the rest of my head, but it is good enough and then just blends in after a few washings.  My color does tend to lighten with time.  I do use WEN, so I am not sure why that happens.  Root Touch Up is very easy to use.  Good Luck!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have lovely naturally blonde hair.  With lovely gray roots.  You get my drift? Woman Wink

SO, experts here, how can I keep the roots blonde until I can get to the salon?  I have never tried to color my own hair.

Don't talk to me about going gray either.  Not for me. 

TIA!

@Sooner   If you try to color the roots and match it to the rest of your blonde....you'll have a big mess. No one's going anywhere fancy for awhile & take comfort that more women than not will be sporting roots. Let your stylist work his/her magic when you return to the salon. Something to look forward to, right?

Trusted Contributor

I color my own hair.  Unfortunately, as I've "aged", I need to do it more often. 

In between, or when I don't have the time to do my whole head, I use Root Rescue.  Clairol & L'Oreal both have their own version.  They have a nice amount of color shades.  Very easy to use.

Takes about 10 minutes and I get about another 3-4 weeks out of it.  

L'Oréal Paris Root Rescue Hair Color, 7 Dark Blonde (Light Ash Brown 6A)

p.s. - there is a newer gel version, which I tried.  I wasn't crazy about it and prefer the "older" version.

Honored Contributor

If you don't already have these products at home, aren't most places closed or certainly color choices are limited?