Honored Contributor

Re: Any Tips for Hair Coloring My Roots?

Grocery stors and drug stores aren't closed or closing. Hours might not be the same but they certainly aren't closed.

Personally, I would buy something like the Joan Rivers powder and try and fill in the roots.  I don't have naturally blonde hair, mine is highlighted.  I'm not even going to attempt to do a root touch up with any semi-permanent or permanent color because I already know how that is going to turn out especially because I have shadow roots done.  

Honored Contributor

Wig sales will be increasing. Otherwise long hair will be the trend.

Honored Contributor

I have the same problem as you, @Sooner. From reading the answers, I think I'm just going to grit my teeth and wait until it's safe for me to go in. I have never used color myself, unless you want to count the time when I was 13 and had my friend spray pure hydrogen peroxide all over my hair. That didn't go over well with TPTB. :-)

I am heeding the mandate to stay in as much as possible. So I really wouldn't be able to shop for color anyway.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have lovely naturally blonde hair.  With lovely gray roots.  You get my drift? Woman Wink

SO, experts here, how can I keep the roots blonde until I can get to the salon?  I have never tried to color my own hair.

Don't talk to me about going gray either.  Not for me. 

TIA!

Blonde with gray roots is easy to do yourself.  That is my hair color situation and I color my roots every 2-3 weeks at home.  I use L'Oreal brand hair dye in light natural blonde.  If you choose to do it, just try not to go too dark.  Medium blonde will result in a dark blonde color in my experience.  It is almost closer to a light brown.  

Honored Contributor

I use L'Oreal Magic Root Cover-Up between colorings.  It's a spray. You can get it at the drug store.  My grocery doesn't carry the Red I use, so have to get it at the drug store.  I mainly only use it on my part and in the area on the back of my head where I have swirlies and hard to keep covered with hair sometimes.  If I get too much on the part I can take a wet q-tip and run along my part so my part isn't red.  

I wouldn't try to actually color your roots.  Your stylist will hate you.  You don't want to have to get a color correction when you only wanted to get your roots done.  But, she may not be able to just put pro color on top of anything permanent you might have used. 

Respected Contributor

I use L’Oréal magic root cover up & clairol root touch up. L’Oréal washes out once you wash your hair. Clairol is semi-permanent. If I find myself not able to get to hairdresser for a long period of time, I use clairol. I have dark blonde hair & it matches perfectly. I’ve even gotten compliments after doing it myself.
Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I have lovely naturally blonde hair.  With lovely gray roots.  You get my drift? Woman Wink

SO, experts here, how can I keep the roots blonde until I can get to the salon?  I have never tried to color my own hair.

TIA!

Blonde with gray roots is easy to do yourself.  That is my hair color situation and I color my roots every 2-3 weeks at home.  I use L'Oreal brand hair dye in light natural blonde.  If you choose to do it, just try not to go too dark.  Medium blonde will result in a dark blonde color in my experience.  It is almost closer to a light brown.  

@Grouchomarx Thanks!  That's helpful!  I have a pretty light blonde highlited color so that's VERY helpful if a crisis situation arises!!!!

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:
I use L’Oréal magic root cover up & clairol root touch up. L’Oréal washes out once you wash your hair. Clairol is semi-permanent. If I find myself not able to get to hairdresser for a long period of time, I use clairol. I have dark blonde hair & it matches perfectly. I’ve even gotten compliments after doing it myself.

THAT sounds like what I'm talking about!  Since I wash my hair every other day, that might work!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

TIA!

@Sooner , it is really easy if you have someone to help you in the back. Just go on YouTube and watch a tutorial. If you are blonde already just make sure you go one shade lighter than what you see on the box. I do my hair all the time and it is never brassy but a very natural shade of light blonde. Just be sure not to overlap and the last 5 minutes work it through your hair entirely. I put a plastic cap on my head while the color is developing. I order them from Amazon. The heat helps the color to develop.

Good luck! I use L'Oreal Excellence, it is great for gray coverage.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

If you don't already have these products at home, aren't most places closed or certainly color choices are limited?

Amazon sells everything you need on line as does CVS.