Honored Contributor

Re: Any Tips for Hair Coloring My Roots?

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I have lovely naturally blonde hair.  With lovely gray roots.  You get my drift? Woman Wink

SO, experts here, how can I keep the roots blonde until I can get to the salon?  I have never tried to color my own hair.

Don't talk to me about going gray either.  Not for me. 

TIA!

@Sooner , it is really easy if you have someone to help you in the back. Just go on YouTube and watch a tutorial. If you are blonde already just make sure you go one shade lighter than what you see on the box. I do my hair all the time and it is never brassy but a very natural shade of light blonde. Just be sure not to overlap and the last 5 minutes work it through your hair entirely. I put a plastic cap on my head while the color is developing. I order them from Amazon. The heat helps the color to develop.

Good luck! I use L'Oreal Excellence, it is great for gray coverage.

If she gets highlights at the salon, her hairdresser may not be happy about her doing that.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I have lovely naturally blonde hair.  With lovely gray roots.  You get my drift? Woman Wink

SO, experts here, how can I keep the roots blonde until I can get to the salon?  I have never tried to color my own hair.

TIA!

@Sooner , it is really easy if you have someone to help you in the back. Just go on YouTube and watch a tutorial. If you are blonde already just make sure you go one shade lighter than what you see on the box. I do my hair all the time and it is never brassy but a very natural shade of light blonde. Just be sure not to overlap and the last 5 minutes work it through your hair entirely. I put a plastic cap on my head while the color is developing. I order them from Amazon. The heat helps the color to develop.

If she gets highlights at the salon, her hairdresser may not be happy about her doing that.  

@Icegoddess My hairdresser gets paid well to do a good job and be happy!  She'll be fine when I get back to her.  I will compensate her for the times I've missed too!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

TIA!

Huh? If it turns out really nice, she may not even have to go back to her hairdresser for color. She didn't post that she got highlights, she posted that she wanted her roots done.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner Since you have a good relationship with your stylist, and she is well compensated,  might you call her and ask what the formula is that she uses. My current stylist sells me the Schwarzkopf color and developer, as I live a distance and I like to  do my roots between haircut appointments. A few years ago, I asked the stylist I was seeing for the formula as I was going be away for an extended time, and he wrote it down for me.

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't try dying my hair at home. Maybe because a stylist turned my hair blue when she used a color accelerator and I know what I went through to get the blue out. It was a terrible! Buy some Color Wow Root Touch Up from Ulta online. This is the only product I've found that stays in my hair until I wash my hair. It covers my gray and looks totally natural. I have blond hair with highlights and go to the salon every 5 weeks for dye, every other month for highlights. Around the 3 1/2 week mark I start using the Color Wow because just a little of bit gray showing drives me crazy. I use two colors to keep the highlight effect. It's a really good product, great coverage and easy to use. 

Trusted Contributor

I will also run into that situation.  I bought the L'Oreal Root Touch Up but have never used it.  I actually called my salon today and they were open...

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Respected Contributor

For years I colored my own hair so used the same product on my roots every 2 weeks.  One day the color "turned" on me; my roots were a hot red. Since then I've had my color done professionally every 3 weeks.  By week 2, I need to use Color Wow on my part.  I have found most of these products are too dark.  There are not many good blond touch-up products.

I was due to have my hair colored and cut today. It is imperative as my hair is growing out from ground zero.  I now have almost 3".  Without a cut/style, I look like a Chia Pet with roots.  I go to a 1 stylist salon and I'm usually the only person there. Yesterday she called saying she was at her salon cleaning and closing down for who knows how long.  If I wanted, she could do my hair. 

Not that I can go anywhere but I now have an actual hairstyle and could finally go out without a wig! My wonderful stylist gave me product in case she is not open for awhile.

Super Contributor

Before I decided to grow my grey out, I used a powder from Clairol Root Touchup. It was cheap and actually stuck to the gray hair. I just did my hair and used where needed. You can get it at Target, Amaxon
Esteemed Contributor

My suggestion is to go to youtube and watch some hair coloring tutorials on how to do a root touchup.

British youtube beauty editor Nadine Baggott as more than one tutorial on coloring your hair and she is blonde and in her 50s. This tutorial she shows you how to color your roots with a dye that's mixed in a bowl and applied with a brush color tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCwsyNhRalY

HOW TO DIY DYE YOUR OWN ROOTS - A TUTORIAL

Respected Contributor

My hair is red/auburn, not blonde, but I have had a great experience using TruHair powder from HSN.  It has mixed reviews but it's the best I've found.  My biggest challenge is finding the right color match, and their Auburn is perfect.  So good that my colorist has commented numerous times about it.  Joan Rivers powder didn't work for me and neither did Rita Hazan's root touch up spray but for me the color match is the key. 

Also, I usually just buy the refill and use my own brush (although you can use their brush too but mine is much smaller)  -- just dabbing it very lightly, tapping off excess in the cover and brushing lightly on my roots.  If I need to add more I do, but I know some people find this product messy, so you have to be careful.  I find it better to start gently and not use too much.