Valued Contributor

Alpha Hydrox lotion users, what order to apply?

I can't fnd his information anywhere. I used to apply my 10% AHA lotion right after I washed my face. Let dry. Then apply my serums. But I don't know if I am using it the correct way. I know that typical application of products is thinnest to thickest, but I thought since this is an exfoliating lotion it should go on first.

How do you use yours?  TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alpha Hydrox lotion users, what order to apply?

Hi, @beautybee 

I always put my vitamin C on first, then the 12% Alpha AHAs, then moisturizer. Same w/ the evening: other form of vitamin C, then the Alpha retinol and then whatever else.

I really do not think there is any wrong way, and I understand about the thin to thick rule of thumb. However, I've read already that an oil enhances skin penetration. Then again, I've read where water enhances penetration.

My order of use is dictated by what I think is most beneficial for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beautybee wrote:

I can't fnd his information anywhere. I used to apply my 10% AHA lotion right after I washed my face. Let dry. Then apply my serums. But I don't know if I am using it the correct way. I know that typical application of products is thinnest to thickest, but I thought since this is an exfoliating lotion it should go on first.

I usually follow the thinnest to thickest rule and consider how the products are used by the skin.  Serums are more concentrated and go deeper than a lotion or cream so my order of application is ampoules (if you use one), serums, moisturizer.  Also consider the ingredients in your products and if they are compatible with your AHA.  For instance, some AHA's shouldn't be used at the same time as Vitamin C, if you have sensitive skin.  Copper peptides and Vitamin C should never be used at the same time because they will cancel each other out.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't layer my AHA lotion with anything. I apply it night and rinse it off in the morning. I do this on the nights when I'm not applying my Retin-A, which is every other night. I'm not fond of using AHA lotion on my face during the day because AHA  increases photosensitivity....the GA moleceules enhance UV radiation causing the skin to burn.  Also, I apply vitamin C serum during the day and since that is an acid I'd rather not layer another kind of acid with it. In other words, I use AHAs all by themselves and let them do their job at night. 

Something about glycolic acid that you may not know is that the GA molecule is the smallest of the acids used for skincare. For that reason it can penetrate the skin deeper and has been shown to stimulate collagen unlike the other acids. So what that means is it's best to apply AHAs and leave them on, don't rinse them off right away. GAs are two-sided swords...they can exfolitate the skin's surface and stimulate collagen deep within the layers. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@beautybee wrote:

I usually follow the thinnest to thickest rule and consider how the products are used by the skin.  Serums are more concentrated and go deeper than a lotion or cream so my order of application is ampoules (if you use one), serums, moisturizer.  Also consider the ingredients in your products and if they are compatible with your AHA.  For instance, some AHA's shouldn't be used at the same time as Vitamin C, if you have sensitive skin.  Copper peptides and Vitamin C should never be used at the same time because they will cancel each other out.  

That's mostly true, however, there are some types of VC which can be use along with CPs. THD ascorbate is one of them. Prai makes their VC serum with THD and CP combined into a single product. Also, Isomers VC serum can be used along with their CP because it, too contains a CP-compatible form of VC.

Frequent Contributor

@beautybee 

Thank-you for asking this question. I too am starting to use a glycolic lotion. I had no idea how to use it, so I just put it in my cabinet!

@SilleeMee 

Thank-you for the information about  it Vitamin C and copper peptides. I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I do have a related question. Can Vitamin C and Matrixyl  be used at the same time? I respect your knowledge and information that you share with all of us. Many ladies have been very helpful. Thank-you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel the exact same way-since it exfoliates, wouldn't it exfoliate the serum that you put under it? Still dunno what to do.

BTW, where's the best place to buy thi$?

Honored Contributor

@Luv pets wrote:

@beautybee 

Thank-you for asking this question. I too am starting to use a glycolic lotion. I had no idea how to use it, so I just put it in my cabinet!

@SilleeMee 

Thank-you for the information about  it Vitamin C and copper peptides. I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I do have a related question. Can Vitamin C and Matrixyl  be used at the same time? I respect your knowledge and information that you share with all of us. Many ladies have been very helpful. Thank-you.

Yes, you can layer or combine VC and matrixyl. @Luv pets 

Esteemed Contributor

Am I wrong to think AHAs need a precise Ph to be efficient?  Is that what must be protected?

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Am I wrong to think AHAs need a precise Ph to be efficient?  Is that what must be protected?

Most of the literature that I have read so far says it should be at least 10%. Higher strengths, if you can tolerate them, will be more effective in a shorter period of time. It's one of those things where you start off with a lower concentration then build up from that. Your skin needs to adjust to using the acid to start with. If you find that the 10% is irritating your skin, then rinse it off when you feel uncomfortable with it. Then the next time you try it,  leave it on longer. You may not be able to use it but once or twice weekly if it's irritating your skin. Just hold off and try it again in a few days. 

Glycolic acid products are very stable. The only thing you don't want to do is freeze them...the GA acid will crystallize and then the product is no longer good to use. Also, keep your GA products tightly capped. Any evaporation will cause an increase in acidity which means it becomes a stronger acid product and may cause unnecessary irritation. @Still Raining