Frequent Contributor

Re: Alpha Hydrox lotion users, what order to apply?

@SilleeMee 

Thank-you for your help. I’m sure you answered a question numerous people had about using the two products. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Be well- Helene

Honored Contributor

You're welcome @Luv pets . I'm happy to help.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much for answering my question! In the past I would layer this with my serums but I started getting sensitive skin so I stopped using  it everyday.

@SilleeMee  Do you put anything over your glycolic when you use it at night. I use retin-a at night, but I think I am going to try alternating it with the glycolic lotion.

Valued Contributor

@Judaline I purchase mine at neotericcosmetics website. You used to be able to find them at the drugstore. I've used the 10% lotion for  years.

Honored Contributor

@beautybee wrote:

Thank you all so much for answering my question! In the past I would layer this with my serums but I started getting sensitive skin so I stopped using  it everyday.

@SilleeMee  Do you put anything over your glycolic when you use it at night. I use retin-a at night, but I think I am going to try alternating it with the glycolic lotion.

You're welcome @beautybee 

I always use the GA all by itself every other night, alternating with the RA on the other nights. I never layer or mix anything with either of those two things...always use each alone.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee.  Question for you, what is the difference between AHA and retinol?  I've used both and think I get better results from AHA.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee.  Question for you, what is the difference between AHA and retinol?  I've used both and think I get better results from AHA.

@Kachina624 

I would have to say the biggest difference is that AHA is milder than retinol. Also, AHA is fast-acting whereas retinol works over time. Retinol can cause dryness and flaking. AHAs have the ability to hydrate the skin. Ultimately it can be beneficial to use both retinol and AHA, alternating nights of applications.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @SilleeMee.  I had not considered evaporation as a problem.

What I was asking is about the actual pH of the AHA.  If it has a low range when can be effective, can it be voided by mixing with other items?  Or indeed with a basic soap?

If, for instance, you use use a basic soap, apply and then immediately put something over it have you wasted you product?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining wrote:

What I was asking is about the actual pH of the AHA.  If it has a low range when can be effective, can it be voided by mixing with other items?  Or indeed with a basic soap?

If, for instance, you use use a basic soap, apply and then immediately put something over it have you wasted you product?

@Still Raining ,

Yes, I understand. GA products come in a variety of percentages. Most products that are less than 10% are usually formulated for cleansing rather than treating the skin. The pH of the products are formulated to be compatible with the skin meaning the pH of most all GA products do not go below a pH of 2.5 to 3.0. Anything lower can cause serious burns. Diluting GA just makes it less of an exfoliant and more of a cleansing product...a clarifying type product. GA can help loosen cells on the surface for easy cleansing. GA can help moisturize the skin...that's one of the benefits of using it.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

@Still Raining ,

Yes, I understand. GA products come in a variety of percentages. Most products that are less than 10% are usually formulated for cleansing rather than treating the skin. The pH of the products are formulated to be compatible with the skin meaning the pH of most all GA products do not go below a pH of 2.5 to 3.0. Anything lower can cause serious burns. Diluting GA just makes it less of an exfoliant and more of a cleansing product...a clarifying type product. GA can help loosen cells on the surface for easy cleansing.

Would that mean, if I wanted exfoliating, that nothing should be put over the AHA?  Since doing so (in my words) would potentially rise the pH or (in your words) diluting it?

If so, thanks for helping me understand.