Respected Contributor

Re: When/Why Did You Start Watching QVC?

I started while I was living in PA , not far from the studio. I had a new infant ( 27 yo now), and a traveling husband. I couldn't get out to shop so it was perfect.

Next, we moved to New England and I got a FT job, very demanding, needed nice clothes and shoes, out working 10 hrs a day, and no time to shop, so it helped when I couldn't shop. 
Now I'm semi-retired, work at home, don't need clothes or shoes, but it's a habit! I am slowly breaking it!!  

Esteemed Contributor

I watched, and ordered, quite a bit from Cable Value Network (CVN).  QVC bought them out in 1989 so that's when I started watching the Q.  I liked CVN better so didn't really watch a whole lot of QVC....still don't.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

2010 after suspecting, and confirming, my MIL was addicted to a shopping channel.  

She died the next year, which was when her notebook of purchases was found, and her children realized how much money she had spent.    

Esteemed Contributor

I was bored and I thought it was classier than HSN.

Trusted Contributor

1990's were the glory years for tv shopping for sure. Anyone remember Mindy McCortney on HSN?  Dark curly hair...looked like Betty Boop. I met her ex husband Dan (before the Tony Little thing) several months ago. He works with my son-in-law here in FL and gave me an autographed photo of Mindy. She is still a very attractive lady. 

Honored Contributor

Wow, I don't know the year I started watching, but while channel surfing, saw items being sold on TV...had to be near the beginning. Tova had her Signature parfume and skincare and makeup. Judy Crowell was a host and rumored to have a "relationship" with a fellow nice looking male host and both were shortly "let go". 

I enjoyed Silver Style and got hooked on Diamonique and Kathy Levine, Joan Rivers and the designer fashions available years ago. 

Boy, a lot has changed in offerings and quality. 

Valued Contributor

Think it was the mid-eighties.  Also, they had "The Fashion Channel".  Pat DeMentri was on it then; and moved to QVC when it ended.  There was a host named Phyliss Lamb-something I really liked.  Wonder where she is?

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler My first order was for my mom who wanted a Tiffany lamp.  She always loved that look and we also ordered numerous quilts for her pleasure.  I so miss her but I can look at these things and see the joy that they brought to her.  Sleeping under a quilt is like a warm hug from my mom that has passed on!

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols Were those the real Tiffany lamps on QVC? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started watching QVC during the summer when I was off school just for background noise....then lost my wedding ring and ordered a Diamonique replacement that I still have. That was right after Kathy Levine left. The Diamonique shows and Silver Style shows were all I watched and although I am not a huge jewelry collector, I was impressed with the quality...can’t say the same about some of it now. I do miss the Epiphany line and have asked several times what happened to it but have not heard anything. Didn't order any clothes until at least ten years later.