Honored Contributor

Re: When/Why Did You Start Watching QVC?

No, but I have the water lily one I purchased from QVC and still love it. The socket just stopped working so I need to have it fixed. It was very well made and high quality. I have used it in my bedroom since the day it arrived.
Respected Contributor

@World Traveler Beautiful, looks like stained glass, came with a certificate of authenticity.

Trusted Contributor

I started watching QVC when my mom started watching it, when it first started.  I remember Mike Rowe as a host.  If you have never seen him in action - Go to Youtube.  It is very entertaining.  

Honored Contributor

I can't remember exactly when, but its probably been about 17 or 18 years......I started with makeup, mainly Smashbox and BE.....I still remember the days when BE would have a TSV, and it would be sold out early AM, and they sold way more than they do now.....Lisa Robertson was the host darling and she could really get you excited about shopping!

Holly Mordini was with Smashbox, and actually her name back then was Holly Stougaard, she was still single and she could really do those Smashbox shows, I must have had drawers filled with both Smashbox and BE........

Oh and I remember one of my 1st purchases was a lipstick by Doris Dalton that changed color on your lips to adapt to your lip color! lol........It was crazy how much shopping I did back then!!!!!!lol....... 

Honored Contributor

I first started watching March or April 1995.  Can't remember what I first bought but I do remember buying a few Fraser cottages.  Anyone remember those?

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:

1990's were the glory years for tv shopping for sure. Anyone remember Mindy McCortney on HSN?  Dark curly hair...looked like Betty Boop. I met her ex husband Dan (before the Tony Little thing) several months ago. He works with my son-in-law here in FL and gave me an autographed photo of Mindy. She is still a very attractive lady. 

@CJC I have a few Farah Fawcett rings from the 1990's from HSN and to this day haven't seen that quality in "faux" jewelry. I won $500 on spin to win once!  

I watched it for a long time then saw QVC at mom's house around 1990 and bought a mop that was junk!  

Honored Contributor

When I flipped by one day and saw Kathy Levine talking and stopped.  I was smitten with her and her abiity to sell snowballs to the Eskimoes and she had me hooked.  I have watched off and on, more on since retiring.

Regular Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN - You and I watched the same makeup shows!  I was hooked on Smashbox, Bare Escentuals, and Models Prefer presentations and buying tons of makeup.  Loved Holly Mordini and the Lisa R/Leslie Blodgett shows.  I still have a Smashbox Soft Lights in "Prism" that is a cross between a blush and a highlighter - just gorgeous.  The kits back in those days were loaded with quality products and too pretty to pass up!  Good thing I was working then because I certainly spent my fair share on makeup.  Mojave Magic was also a unique makeup line from which I ordered many products, and I really enjoyed watching Michael Maron's presentations. 

I also loved Maxx NY and Kathy van Zeeland handbags - bought many for myself and as gifts.  Also miss the original Philosophy shows with Cristina Carlino.

These days, my orders from QVC are few and far between.  I still like to watch the shows for entertainment - and no commercials!  Still miss Lisa R as a host - she was the best.    

Trusted Contributor

I go back to the CVN days before QVC took them over. A lot of the hosts at QVC, HSN, and Shop HQ were host on that network.  They were the first shopping channel I ordered from. Once QVC was up and running they were the only ones we got thru our cable and then the others came later.

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Started watching the Q from the very beginning. For me, it was mid-April of 1986- almost exactly 35 years ago to the day. The cable installer came to my first, new (to us) house. When he connected the bedroom TV he turned to QVC and said it was a new shopping channel that women were enjoying. I introduced the Q to my mom. She did not dare to shop until my DF passed away- then she went at it a bit too much. we had both watched HSN previous to finding QVC

My story is just about the same as yours.  DH and I were getting married and he insisted that we replace my 12 inch black and white tv with a color tv and add cable.  Flipping through the channels, I could not believe that there was tv shopping.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!