Esteemed Contributor

Re: When/Why Did You Start Watching QVC?

I started buying from QVC in 1995. 

Honored Contributor

I've been a QVC customer since before they became QVC, almost from the beginning.

I started watching because it was a new, fun shopping experience.   I'd always flipped through catalogs.  So many catalogs.  QVC was like a catalog on my TV.  I was a size 26 back then and I loved that I could buy clothes that I would not see on every other plus size woman.  Now I buy everything from QVC and all the other shopping channels.

Super Contributor

Around 1995, Quacker factory nautical, party and holiday pieces.  Then I found out about tall pants and wide shoes.

Respected Contributor

Started watching QVC when it was CVN and was purchased and became QVC....

Respected Contributor

In 1993 I was pretty much bed ridden for three months before my diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. That was when I discovered QVC. My first purchase was a blue topaz 14 kt gold ring from

Kathy Levine. My favorite shows were Kathy Levine and Joan Rivers. They were so funny together. Most of my purchases were gold. In the 90s Italian gold was so affordable and so well made. It is not worth buying now.

Many silver purchases were made too. Then there were the dolls and I bought many. During one doll show I got to speak to Lisa Mason, she was so sweet. I must have bought more than a dozen pairs of Birkenstocks. It was so disappointing when they stopped

selling them. Dooney and Bourke was another favorite I must have more than 15 bags and several wallets. Honora pearls are

another collection that I have along with Joan Rivers, Kirk's Folly, Irwin Pearl, KJL and Chinese Jade. I still have silk tunics from Diane Von Furstenberg, coats from Dennis Basso and clothing from Joan Rivers.

It does seem that quality and values are not what they were 20-25 years ago and I no longer watch the shows. I miss

the day long St. Patrick's Day shows with the music, dancers

and scenes of Ireland.

Honored Contributor

Shortly after they went on the air!  I thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread!  I was single and lived alone.  Back then, when I was bored and just wanted to relax and chill out --- me and my cat --- I would turn it on and just watch for hours.  I don't remember the exact purchase but I believe the first thing I bought was a sterling silver jewlery item.  Way back when, the silver jewelry items were very well priced and such a great selection.  You could even get gold and gem items for a decent price.  And the shows were so entertaining -- as were the hosts!  Special sets were often keyed to the particular shows!  I remember that I got to talk on the air to several different hosts and I was so excited!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Early 90's. Watched HSN first before finding Q.  First purchase from HSN was Technibond earrings. Best year at QVC was 1995, the QVC Local 50 in 50 tour.  Bought several items and went to one live show at Ohio State Fairgrounds where I met Jane Tracey and couple other hosts. So many original hosts have disappeared for various reasons, and I don't relate to the newer younger ones, probably because I'm getting long in the tooth. Also miss the in-person vendors...do not like vendors via Skype, not the same. Covid's fault, but Q probably will never return to in-person reps because so much cheaper by remote.  These days I mostly listen to Q as background noise as I do household chores. 

Honored Contributor

That's exactly how I feel @CJC . 50/50 tour was the best idea QVC had and it will never be replicated. 

Honored Contributor

My mother and aunt watched HSN when I lived at home so I remember them ordering dolls in the 80s. I ordered a gold chain. When I moved out I didn't have cable TV so I wasn't watching or ordering. 

I started watching QVC in 1997 when I got married because DH had cable TV. Unfortunately, it became a habit to have it on whenever I was home. It was way too easy to order and buy. When I was recuperating from major surgery in 2001 & home from work for months, it really escalated. I couldn't go out to shop so I bought clothes, jewelry, beauty, home items, holiday, food, and who knows what else from the Q.

I rarely watch anymore, but I still check items online. I can find what I want in my local stores, but sometimes I see something I really want or like and order it from HSN or QVC. I only buy a few things a year from TV shopping channels now. 

Honored Contributor

Shopping channels in general occured when I turned 50. Menopause and suddenly aging had me in a panic! I was that girl who never looked her age up until that time and seemingly overnight looking 20 something was gone! For example when I worked accounts receivable for Publix I was at work at 5:00 am and the manager got on the P.A. and announced my birthday and that I was early 30s. I was actually in my late 30s but he was being funny and THOUGHT he was ADDING years to my actual age! Lol but my point is that's what I was used to for my adult life until 50. ("youre how old!!??")

I started watching for the beauty products! Of course none of them turned back the clock but I was desperate!

I think my first Q purchase was a Ninja blender. It lasted for about 7 years but I was hard on it. I crushed ice daily for coffee.